cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hub 5 Router Wi-fi inconsistent and unstable.......Don't take it!

Bazzab1975
Tuning in

Hi all and VM,

Posted the below on Friday 21st Oct on an existing thread.  Now starting my own to hopefully get a response from VM

Found this post while searching for answers to why my Hub 5 is so terrible! I'm surprised by some of the responses on here - seems ridiculous to issue a new piece of hardware to the public and not make it clear that the Hub 5 is still in development.

I upgraded to 1gb/Hub 5 only a few weeks ago and the wifi signal has been terrible ever since. As an example, I have Samsung s21 and while sitting only 1.5m from the hub I'm often receiving download speed of just 29mbps............diabolical service and surely in breach of contract. As a comparison, if I connect my laptop via an ethernet cable I'm getting around 850mbps.

When I call VM last week they agreed to send a Intelligent Wi-fi pod which I plugged in last night..........initially I was getting very high wifi speeds on my phone, around 800mbps but today this has dropped back to 30mbps. There seems no logical reason for this especially when you consider that my son had his PS4 connected via wifi last night but today its not connected.

When I was upgrading to 1gb I did ask for a Hub 4 (because I had previously been refused a Hub5), I now, after reading this thread, wished I pressed for a Hub 4.

I currently have an open complaint with VM and await a return call regarding the complaint. I have also have 'engineers' monitoring my line (allegedly) and await a call back later today (allegedly) in an attempt to resolve the problems.

It's ridiculous to suggest I should go and buy a 3rd party router and turn my state of the art Hub 5 into a modem. Absolutely pathetic.

If VM on this forum can please reach out to me before I lose the will to live and ditch Virgin once and for all, that would be great. I look forward to some sound, technological advice from a competent engineer to a CS assistant (as I've had to date).

Update:-

Well, surprise surprise...........the VM engineer didnt phone me last night as promised by the call handler. So, to date:-

1. I'm waiting for a manager to call me regarding my complaint (7days ago.......lost track if I'm honest).

2. I'm waiting on an engineer to call me at 2030 to fault find the poor wifi problem (14hrs ago)

Wifi download speed continues to be as inconsistent as the Tory government.............speed test today shows I can download at 865mbps, which is great and where it should be. So why was I only downloading at 29mbps less than 24hrs ago. Nothing has changed in my home - no additional electronic devices causing interference, no other gadgets downloading................the inconsistency is baffling and, to me, suggests its a fault with the router, but I'm not an expert - hence why I need VM to pull their finger out and contact me.

I know everyone on this topic has issues with their hub but has anyone had similar issues to me?

TIA

31 REPLIES 31

Mrzapie
Dialled in

Hi Adri,

Thankyou for your reply, though somewhat irrelevant as the compensation my claim relates to is for "a product that is not fit for purpose", not for a broadband service interruption.

I note that on the 7th May once again the HUB 5 is connected but with no Internet access.

It might be best to for VM to contact me directly to avoid further costs on both sides.

HI @Mrzapie 👋.

Thanks for getting back in touch with us. When you say the Hub 5 is not fit for purpose please could you elaborate on this? When you installed the Hub 5 did you ensure that the network names are the same and that the passwords are the same when connecting all devices, any and all WiFi extenders are connected sufficiently according to the instructions with the singular WiFi name as they do not work over a split network. 

Have you ran diagnostics using the connect app to ensure that every room as sufficient bandwidth 👉 Connect App. If there is a signal issue in any of the rooms and the speeds are not reaching, then any WiFi extenders may need relocating or you can look into a Mesh network system that we have, that is included in 1Gb packages. More information can be found here 👉 WiFi Max.

In regards to costs, we on Social Media do not have access to calling customers. We can bring you in for a private message if you so wish. But for any verbal contact we would require you to contact us 📞 0345 454 1111, option 1, option 2, option1. 

Please update us regarding this.

Sabrina

Mrzapie
Dialled in

Hi Sabrina,

Thankyou for your reply.

As to your questions;

When you say the Hub 5 is not fit for purpose please could you elaborate on this?

Not fit for purpose, an item in this case the HUB 5 "must be fit for its usual normal and reasonable purpose" If an item (Hub 5) is clearly faulty and cannot be used, it is "not fit for purpose"

Your tech' team identified a Hub fault and an engineer is booked for a confirmed time slot of 7pm on the 8th May 

When you installed the Hub 5 did you ensure that the network names are the same and that the passwords are the same when connecting all devices, any and all WiFi extenders are connected sufficiently according to the instructions with the singular WiFi name as they do not work over a split network. 

Yes and yes, the source of the problem was put down to a faulty Hub 5.

Would you expect 2 Hub 5's To fail?

Good Afternoon @Mrzapie, thanks for coming back to me us.

Can you please confirm how the recent engineer visit went, and if the issues with the hub 5 are still ongoing?

I've been able to look into the status of you hub, and no issues appear to be present.

Kindest regards,

David_Bn

Mrzapie
Dialled in

Hi David_Bn,

Without Prejudice.

The engineers visit was fine, a complete waste of his time and my time.

VM tech' insisted on the visit from an engineer, why remains a mystery.

I have added an addendum to my compensation claim using "Money Claim On Line" to include an additional charge for yet another hour of my time.

I have not as yet included a charge to replying to VM staff on this forum.......

unisoft
Well-informed

Disagree to an extent. There are teething issues with some devices people have. That's always the case when a new hub launches, though to be fair, VM have had around 18 months to address this for particular devices. It's also the only hub with Wifi 6 AX on it (if using router mode) and a 2.5gbps capable WAN port.

In 'Modem Mode', the HUB5 is THE best hub I have ever used since the Hub1 (I've had each one bar a standard Hub2 as had Hub2ac at the time). I've found it to give much better SNR figures and RxMer figures than any previous hub due to better components.

Hi @Mrzapie 

Thanks for coming back to us. There are no issues showing on our side when we have done a system check. I hope that means everything is fine now for you.

Compensation is only applied if it meets the criteria in the compensation policy - we don't offer compensation for time and indeed replies on these forums.

Please do let us know if you're needing further help with your services.

Best wishes.

John_GS
Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - How to pay my Virgin Media bill

Mrzapie
Dialled in

Hi John_GS,

Thanks for your reply, I realise you as VM don't offer compensation, that's why I'm taking a alternate route to recover my costs.

Thank you @Mrzapie 

We do hope that things are now looking better with your services and if there is anything we can do to help or advise further please do let us know. 

vixessex
Joining in

Yep everything you’ve explained here I’m getting. Wish I’d never switched now. I’m now looking into how I just replace the hub 5 altogether, honestly it’s not fit for purpose. One room away and I get 1.5mbps!!! I’m on 1GB 🫣 And it drops out constantly too. I can’t add my mesh system to it as there is no modem only mode now available 😡