cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hub 5 Router Wi-fi inconsistent and unstable.......Don't take it!

Bazzab1975
Tuning in

Hi all and VM,

Posted the below on Friday 21st Oct on an existing thread.  Now starting my own to hopefully get a response from VM

Found this post while searching for answers to why my Hub 5 is so terrible! I'm surprised by some of the responses on here - seems ridiculous to issue a new piece of hardware to the public and not make it clear that the Hub 5 is still in development.

I upgraded to 1gb/Hub 5 only a few weeks ago and the wifi signal has been terrible ever since. As an example, I have Samsung s21 and while sitting only 1.5m from the hub I'm often receiving download speed of just 29mbps............diabolical service and surely in breach of contract. As a comparison, if I connect my laptop via an ethernet cable I'm getting around 850mbps.

When I call VM last week they agreed to send a Intelligent Wi-fi pod which I plugged in last night..........initially I was getting very high wifi speeds on my phone, around 800mbps but today this has dropped back to 30mbps. There seems no logical reason for this especially when you consider that my son had his PS4 connected via wifi last night but today its not connected.

When I was upgrading to 1gb I did ask for a Hub 4 (because I had previously been refused a Hub5), I now, after reading this thread, wished I pressed for a Hub 4.

I currently have an open complaint with VM and await a return call regarding the complaint. I have also have 'engineers' monitoring my line (allegedly) and await a call back later today (allegedly) in an attempt to resolve the problems.

It's ridiculous to suggest I should go and buy a 3rd party router and turn my state of the art Hub 5 into a modem. Absolutely pathetic.

If VM on this forum can please reach out to me before I lose the will to live and ditch Virgin once and for all, that would be great. I look forward to some sound, technological advice from a competent engineer to a CS assistant (as I've had to date).

Update:-

Well, surprise surprise...........the VM engineer didnt phone me last night as promised by the call handler. So, to date:-

1. I'm waiting for a manager to call me regarding my complaint (7days ago.......lost track if I'm honest).

2. I'm waiting on an engineer to call me at 2030 to fault find the poor wifi problem (14hrs ago)

Wifi download speed continues to be as inconsistent as the Tory government.............speed test today shows I can download at 865mbps, which is great and where it should be. So why was I only downloading at 29mbps less than 24hrs ago. Nothing has changed in my home - no additional electronic devices causing interference, no other gadgets downloading................the inconsistency is baffling and, to me, suggests its a fault with the router, but I'm not an expert - hence why I need VM to pull their finger out and contact me.

I know everyone on this topic has issues with their hub but has anyone had similar issues to me?

TIA

31 REPLIES 31

Hi Bazzab1975, 

Thanks for coming back to us here in the Community. 

Running some further checks at this end, we can see there is a prolonged performance issue. We won't be able to fix this remotely so I would like to arrange for an engineer to come to take a look at this for you. 

I just need to confirm the address to ensure we are booking the visit on the correct account. I have sent you a private message regarding this. Just click on the little plum envelope at the top right-hand side of the page to access your inbox.

Thanks,

Kath_F
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

Hi Bazzab1975,

Thanks for coming back to via private message to confirm your information. 

I have booked you in for the next available engineer appointment. To view this please sign in to My Virgin Media here: My VM. Once you log in scroll down to Orders & appointments then click on View your orders. You can also view this in the My VM app. If you have any issues with accessing your account or unable to see your visit after 24 hours have passed, please do let us know and we’ll pop you a message to pass data protection and confirm the appointment details.

Just to confirm, there will be no charge for this visit unless:

• The technician diagnoses the faults as not being caused by our network/equipment
  • The technician discovers that the fault or problem relates to your equipment
  • The technician discovers that the fault or problem relates to any system that we are not responsible for
  • The technician will confirm during their visit if any of these instances apply, and if so, a £25 charge will be applied to your account.

Please ensure there is someone over the age of 18 present at the time of the visit. If you need to change or cancel your appointment, you can do this online or via the My VM app by 4pm the day before the appointment. If you do miss an agreed appointment for any reason, a £25 missed appointment charge will be applied to your account on the day of the appointment.

We will continue to monitor your services and if we can see that the fault has cleared and the visit is no longer required we will cancel the appointment and let you know by text and email. 

Lets us know how the appointment goes. 

Take care.

Kath_F
Forum Team

Hi Kath, 

Can you tell me what you've discovered from monitoring my connection, I'm intrigued to find out? 

Regards

Barry

Hi Barry, thanks for coming back to the thread. From checking this, it seems it's a signal issue identified. Please let us know how the visit goes. 

Best,

John_GS
Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - How to pay my Virgin Media bill

Mrzapie
Dialled in

Hi,

Same problem, Hub 5 failed almost out of the box, can't get back on using old Hub 3. Wasted 3 hours of my life trying to sort out a product which is clearly not fit for purpose. On the upside while waiting for VM attempting numerous fixes I had time to start a "Money Claim Online" to cover my reasonable costs.

I figured out why I was tele sales called to upgrade to the 5 for the properties we have using VM, they're out of contract. sign up for an equipment upgrade and we'll be locked in for 18 months.

Promised an engineer for 8 am..........

It's not the hub. You have packetloss on your line (probably an area fault). It's not that uncommon at the moment, but your stats look very good.

WiFi speeds at 26 to 29mbps means the device has connected on the 2.4Ghz band.

When the SSID + Password for 2.4 & 5Ghz are the same, a dual band WiFi device is free to choose the band with the better signal strength / quality.

Hi Mrzapie, 

Thanks for coming back to us in the Community and apologies to hear you've been having some issues with your Hub 5. 

I can see my colleague has already replied to you on another thread here: Super Hub 5 problems. Bricked on set-up?

Please make sure you are only posting once about your issue. If you need to update the thread then just reply to your original thread rather than creating a new one. We understand it's frustrating when something's not right however posting more than once about the same fault makes the boards look busier than what they actually are. It also means we could take longer to reply due to needing to sift through duplicate posts.

Have a look at my colleagues reply on the other thread and stick with that one so we keep all the information in one place. 

Thanks, 

Kath_F
Forum Team

Mrzapie
Dialled in

Hi Kath_F,

Thankyou for you reply.

I thought it best to seek an answer from any relevant posts as the VM helpline are clearly out of their depth with the known faulty HUB 5 problem, and frankly I was fed up wasting my valuable time with VM.

The HUB 5 upgrade I opted for was in part to test how simple the installation would be to roll out out the upgrade for our other VM accounts.  

I spent 3 very expensive hours trying to sort this problem out. Now that I've discovered that there are inherent faults with the HUB 5 - I received a faulty HUB 5. Why if you send out a faulty HUB your tech team don't just identify the hub as faulty apologise and organise for a replacement, a simple honest solution for a known problem.

As your team thought it best to mess me about with numerous re-sets, re-installing the HUB 3 which again you knew would not work is beyond me.

I have as yet had no call about any compensation, so as the goods I received were "not fit for purpose", the advice I received from the tech' help line was again "not fit for purpose" for a known problem. In a fit of piquie I iniated a claim for compenation using  {gov.uk/make-court-claim-for-money}.

I have thirty days to withdraw the claim.

Adri_G
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Thanks for this reply and for explaining more, Mrzapie.

We're sorry to hear of the frustration this issue has caused for you.

As per my colleague Kath's earlier post, may I please ask if you've liaised about all this with the other team member you're in touch with (on the other thread) about this case?

If so, have you already raised these concerns with us by logging a complaint regarding the issues described above with us or from any of your previous communications?

In regard to our compensation and how this works, please visit our page here for more.

You can find out how we assess for loss of service compensation, please note this is an automatic process and you'll see any credits applied you're eligible for reflecting on your next bill (as we do not offer a call to advise on the outcome in this instance).

If you've already reported a service loss to any of our agents, this will be assessed once the problem has been restored and your hub and service is up and running.

Lastly, we can see the engineer has visited you and the problems seem to have restored as your hub 5 is online currently.

In case you still need help or have more questions, please let my team on the private messages know and they'll be happy to help.

We kindly ask to avoid posting back on this duplicate thread, cheers.

Adri
Forum Team