cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hub 5 Router Wi-fi inconsistent and unstable.......Don't take it!

Bazzab1975
Tuning in

Hi all and VM,

Posted the below on Friday 21st Oct on an existing thread.  Now starting my own to hopefully get a response from VM

Found this post while searching for answers to why my Hub 5 is so terrible! I'm surprised by some of the responses on here - seems ridiculous to issue a new piece of hardware to the public and not make it clear that the Hub 5 is still in development.

I upgraded to 1gb/Hub 5 only a few weeks ago and the wifi signal has been terrible ever since. As an example, I have Samsung s21 and while sitting only 1.5m from the hub I'm often receiving download speed of just 29mbps............diabolical service and surely in breach of contract. As a comparison, if I connect my laptop via an ethernet cable I'm getting around 850mbps.

When I call VM last week they agreed to send a Intelligent Wi-fi pod which I plugged in last night..........initially I was getting very high wifi speeds on my phone, around 800mbps but today this has dropped back to 30mbps. There seems no logical reason for this especially when you consider that my son had his PS4 connected via wifi last night but today its not connected.

When I was upgrading to 1gb I did ask for a Hub 4 (because I had previously been refused a Hub5), I now, after reading this thread, wished I pressed for a Hub 4.

I currently have an open complaint with VM and await a return call regarding the complaint. I have also have 'engineers' monitoring my line (allegedly) and await a call back later today (allegedly) in an attempt to resolve the problems.

It's ridiculous to suggest I should go and buy a 3rd party router and turn my state of the art Hub 5 into a modem. Absolutely pathetic.

If VM on this forum can please reach out to me before I lose the will to live and ditch Virgin once and for all, that would be great. I look forward to some sound, technological advice from a competent engineer to a CS assistant (as I've had to date).

Update:-

Well, surprise surprise...........the VM engineer didnt phone me last night as promised by the call handler. So, to date:-

1. I'm waiting for a manager to call me regarding my complaint (7days ago.......lost track if I'm honest).

2. I'm waiting on an engineer to call me at 2030 to fault find the poor wifi problem (14hrs ago)

Wifi download speed continues to be as inconsistent as the Tory government.............speed test today shows I can download at 865mbps, which is great and where it should be. So why was I only downloading at 29mbps less than 24hrs ago. Nothing has changed in my home - no additional electronic devices causing interference, no other gadgets downloading................the inconsistency is baffling and, to me, suggests its a fault with the router, but I'm not an expert - hence why I need VM to pull their finger out and contact me.

I know everyone on this topic has issues with their hub but has anyone had similar issues to me?

TIA

31 REPLIES 31

@vixessex wrote:

Yep everything you’ve explained here I’m getting. Wish I’d never switched now. I’m now looking into how I just replace the hub 5 altogether, honestly it’s not fit for purpose. One room away and I get 1.5mbps!!! I’m on 1GB 🫣 And it drops out constantly too. I can’t add my mesh system to it as there is no modem only mode now available 😡

The HUB 5 supports modem mode.

It's the HUB 5x that currently does not.

jpeg1
Alessandro Volta

I haven't read the whole thread, but your WiFi speed jumping about like that sounds very like your phone is switching between the 2.4 and 5GHz bands. 

Change the SSID for one of the bands, and set the phone to the 5GHz channel. See what that does. 

- jpeg1
My name is NOT Alessandro. That's just a tag Virginmedia sticks on some contributors. Please ignore it.