cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Red Button - V6/TiVo boxes

Foxylady6264
On our wavelength

Trying to watch the Sunderland v LCFC game via the red button and it's not working. It says there aren't  currently any interactive games on any of the sky sports channels...... Please sort this as I'm not getting the service I pay for.

32 REPLIES 32

nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

If Sky are still providing the satellite driven SD streams then the embedded TiVO app should still be able to decode them. That is providing the recent unrelated TiVO patch didn’t break the app. It’s happened before.

Sky Red Button streams, in common with TNT’s, are not recordable. In order to record the streams each stream must have its own EPG number & unique channel ID. To complicate things further all matches are carried on a composite channel (which is why the quality is so dire). Therefore if 6 matches are being transmitted, only 1/6 of the transmission channel bandwidth is allocated to each individual stream.

VM 350BB 2xV6 & Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, ASDA/Tesco PAYG Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@roy247 wrote:

@JimmyH07 wrote:

They offer a software update together with a new remote to bring it up to the same spec as the 360 without changing boxes ( you can’t record on 360, only stream) which is probably worth bearing in mind.

Are you saying you can record red button options on the V6 ? I don't remember that.

That’s the wrong way round. You can record on V360 but not Stream, & even then that does not include Red Button content. The only content that can be recoded is BBC Red Button, as it has it’s own EPG slot (channel 991).

VM 350BB 2xV6 & Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, ASDA/Tesco PAYG Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

ModTeam

Hi all,

The comments outlined are broadly correct, and the red button isn’t available on some of our boxes currently.

We’ve released a new red button experience on our Stream and TV 360 boxes which we’re also planning for our other boxes including the v6.

As soon as we have a rough date for when this will happen, we’ll let everyone know but in the meantime our v6 customers can move over to TV 360 if they wish, and sorry for any inconvenience.

Thanks all,

I think the frustrating aspect is that you are not made aware that the function isn't going to work until you go and use it. It worked perfectly a month ago. Thanks for the update.

nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@Foxylady6264 wrote:

I think the frustrating aspect is that you are not made aware that the function isn't going to work until you go and use it. It worked perfectly a month ago. Thanks for the update.

All the fun of third party provision. As I touched on earlier, Sky has to provide a functioning background app as well as the content that goes on it. It's likely to be the IP based app, which will run off of the Ethernet or WiFi connection to your hub & not directly from the cable.

nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

And "Hey Presto" the SD streams are now working again for tonight's matches.

I know, it's like magic. Probably did us a favour last night though, Leicester are painful to watch at the mo. Glad it's working again though.

nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@Foxylady6264 wrote:

I know, it's like magic. Probably did us a favour last night though, Leicester are painful to watch at the mo. Glad it's working again though.

Likewise, Watford have just gone & put the ball in their own net. Even when you are watching you can't improve the quality of the play! 🙄

Hi, this does not seem an accurate explanation to me.  You are saying that the red button did not work Tuesday night for subscribers with V6 boxes, as a software update was required for those boxes, and there was no date as to when that was going to be.  However...  out of interest, I tried the games that were on last night  (Wednesday), via the red button and they worked!  There was no software update and no changes made. 

So, on my V6 box, it did not work on red button games Tuesday (no error... just a screen saying "There are currently no interactive events on this channel"), but in the space of 24 hours, it did work on Wednesday.... So if your statement is accurate (about software update) how can that be with "no software update"?  

I have zero confidence I will be able to watch the next games I want to watch.  Can you explain the behaviour I experienced please?

Many thanks...

Roger_Gooner
Alessandro Volta

You can think of two types of software which get updates: TiVo which enables the box to work by providing the platform such as user interface (UI), content discovery, DVR functionality, search and navigation, apps and streaming services integration. These apps include obvious ones like BBC iPlayer and there are also hidden ones which enable red button to work.

--
Hub 5, TP-Link TL-SG108S 8-port gigabit switch, 360
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM hub 5 broadband connection