cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Red Button - V6/TiVo boxes

Foxylady6264
On our wavelength

Trying to watch the Sunderland v LCFC game via the red button and it's not working. It says there aren't  currently any interactive games on any of the sky sports channels...... Please sort this as I'm not getting the service I pay for.

33 REPLIES 33

nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@monsteruk wrote:

Hi, this does not seem an accurate explanation to me.  You are saying that the red button did not work Tuesday night for subscribers with V6 boxes, as a software update was required for those boxes, and there was no date as to when that was going to be.  However...  out of interest, I tried the games that were on last night  (Wednesday), via the red button and they worked!  There was no software update and no changes made. 

So, on my V6 box, it did not work on red button games Tuesday (no error... just a screen saying "There are currently no interactive events on this channel"), but in the space of 24 hours, it did work on Wednesday.... So if your statement is accurate (about software update) how can that be with "no software update"?  

I have zero confidence I will be able to watch the next games I want to watch.  Can you explain the behaviour I experienced please?

Many thanks...

There is a background app already on the V6 boxes for the Red Button streams. This uses a satellite feed provided by Sky which is picked up by Virgin, which the app then decodes into the individual match feeds. This method can only provide SD quality feeds, which are highly compressed.

On V360 & Stream boxes Sky have now replaced the app with one that pulls an IP stream direct from the internet. This can provide far more interactivity, plus numerous HD quality streams.

I can only assume that on Tuesday night the system that uses the V6 app was not triggered by Sky, resulting in the matches not reaching the boxes.

As for speculation as to whether we will also get the new app on the V6 boxes. That is up to Sky to decide, as it's their premium service.

VM 350BB 2xV6 & Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, ASDA/Tesco PAYG Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

ModTeam

Hi all,

Just as a small update to this, we said earlier the red button isn’t available on some of our boxes currently namely the v6 and TiVo boxes.

We’ve released a new red button app on our Stream and TV 360 boxes which we’re also planning for our other boxes including the v6.

We’ve decided that until the new red button app is available for the v6 and TiVo boxes we’ll keep the old app available. This means you’ll still be able to watch the EFL matches via the red button, but you won’t have the enhanced F1 and Tennis functionality until we roll out the new red button app to these boxes.

Thanks,

Interesting. I thought there was no chance of the new sky sports red button on V6. Other replies I've had stated V6 would NOT get it but we're just waiting for an update, yes? Would you be so kind as to confirm? 🙂

Hi there @Mobes 

So sorry to quote the above message but I think it should answer your question: We’ve decided that until the new red button app is available for the v6 and TiVo boxes we’ll keep the old app available. This means you’ll still be able to watch the EFL matches via the red button, but you won’t have the enhanced F1 and Tennis functionality until we roll out the new red button app to these boxes.

Once the updated app is available we will alert customers, thank you.