cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sound cutting out for a second repeatedly

Byfoja03
On our wavelength

I have an issue when watching virgin tv where the sound cuts out for a second, maybe slightly less, but it happens repeatedly at no apparent regular frequency, but enough that it's annoying - any suggestions to resolve this?

Thanks

90 REPLIES 90

PG66
On our wavelength

Not resolved by only using the Sonos amplifier but is now far more intermittent having run for two days with no problems. When this occurred I rewound the programme and replayed it and the sound was okay on the replay. Not sure what to try next.

Adri_G
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hey PG66, thanks for your posts on our help forum and this thread.
We're sorry to hear of the issues faced with the sound on your TV box recently, we'd love to best help out,
Could you please confirm if your Sonos device is directly connecting to the TV box or does it link to your TV?
Also, does this happen only on live channels or catch-up/on demand services as well and is your TV box connecting to the network using an ethernet cable or over the Wi Fi?
Please, let us know of the above and we're eager to assist further.

Adri
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

PG66
On our wavelength

Adri,

The Sonos is connected to the TV via hdmi arc. The Virgin box is connected via cable for TV and WiFi for Internet requirements. 

The issue has occurred both on live TV and on recordings. In both cases I have backed up the programme and replayed and the replay works without the sound breaking up. Since switching to using the Sonos amplifier it seems to have reduced the number of occurrences. 

miles5759
On our wavelength

Hi

If your TV us a Samsung, have you tried updating the firmware on the TV?

I had the same issues but vua tge TV speakers. An update fixed tge issue, but then they (samsung) issued another update and ut broke it again.

I gave started to yse a sonos Beam vua the arc port and get no interactions now. But that could always be yet another update has fixed the issue.

I got fed up with the whole thing as all I git was samsung blaming vurgin media  and virgin media blaming samsung.

It was even a battle to get them to understand the issue.

PG66
On our wavelength

Thanks will try updating the TV

PG66
On our wavelength

I have moved to audio set to PCM 5:1 and not had the issue for 4 days now so this appears to have fixed the issue. Whilst not the solution I had hoped for as now only get Dolby on Netflix and Disney+ (Prime  and Live TV default to PCM stereo).

Hi PG66, 

Thanks for updating us on this sound issue, I am sorry if it was causing some frustration, but I am glad to hear you managed to resolve it with a work around 🙂

If the issue reappears please let us know.

Thanks,

Megan_L

les2050
Joining in

Still happens for me why workaround with old RCA, HDMI ARC should work so I can use 1 remote. only way to fix is totally power it off and back on, this was fixed then latest update has broke it again. sort it out virgin. 

Deano240
On our wavelength

Has anyone solved this yet.

I had a V6 box and engineer replaced it as I wanted 360. Since its been replaced sound cuts out every minute or so, no pattern bus for around a second. Its doing my head in!

Bladerunner01
Joining in

Can’t believe I didn’t come across this thread sooner.  Since my box got updated from v6 to 360 I have been having problems with the sound when using my amplifier.  I did not realise this until recently as I did not use the amp for some time after.  When I did I was getting drop outs especially from the center chanel.  I tried everything swapping cables, inputs swapped my 360 boxes around and was still getting the same problem making me think it’s a problem with the amplifier resulting in me sending it off for repair.  Only today I came to the conclusion it must be the Virgin box hence searching here.   Cant stress how annoying this is and even resulted in me spending money for unnecessary repairs.  I done the fix someone mentioned about changing the hdmi resolution to 1080i and this has helped a lot, I get a slight crackle in the sound intermittently but not dropping out like it was before.  It’s not correct having to drop the resolution down.  I hope Virgin sorts this issue out as it’s been going on for a long time now, never had a problem when the boxes were running v6 software