cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Removal of outside VM box

Carly0219
Joining in

Hi, I have just switch from virgin media and this is how my wall has been left. I’d like it removed due to it being unsafe. It is on the main walkway in my garden and kids could hurt themselves on it. The box is closed in the photograph but is now hanging open and wires are exposed to weather. 

IMG_5336.jpeg

8 REPLIES 8

goslow
Alessandro Volta

VM never gives a consistent answer on this type of query for ex-customers. Occasionally they will send someone to repair cables/boxes. Mostly they decline to do so.

You would probably save yourself some time/effort by just reattaching it yourself with some new/bigger wall plugs.

Is there any equipment inside the box such as the image in this topic here

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/QuickStart-set-up-and/Ugly-brown-box/td-p/5264366

or is it just cables and connectors?

-tony-
Alessandro Volta

give VM a day or two but you are likely to get told they dont remove wiring - if that is the answer then wire snips and put it in the bin - no danger its data not voltage - if you get all the moaners telling you that cutting the wire might impact the VM network then tough if it does - you have asked in the right way - if VM dont sort it then its their problem

Tony.
Sacked VIP

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

You could, if only to be nice to your neighbours, unscrew the black cable from the fitting in the box and use a 75 Ohm terminator cap.  Push the black cable back into the grey conduit. Then just remove everything else from your property,  Bear in mind the kit still belongs to VM so it may be prudent to store it for a while.?

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Hi, 

yes there is the connections shown in the picture. I could possibly cable tie it to keep it shut and reattach to the wall. Paint it so it doesn’t look so cheap. 

I don’t want to remove it and it effect anyone in my street or myself if there is a possibility that that may happen. 

SimpleSimon
Superfast

I personally would go back to Openreach and ask them to reattach it properly to your wall.  They shouldn't have touched another companies equipment.

Ryan_N
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi Carly0219, 

Thank you for your post and welcome to the forums. 

I am sorry to see the state this has been left in whilst taking out your new services - not good to see. The normal process to this wouldn't be for it to be removed - but I will send you over a private message so that I can confirm some details. With that, I would be able to forward this onto the AFM of your area who would be able to confirm what the next relevant step would be. 

Cheers, 

Ryan. 

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

I don't think Openreach would have done this as the fixing holes for the Omnibox are well away from the OR box.

I'd suggest the Omnibox has been poorly fitted, as the wall plugs have clearly just come away.  I'm guessing longer plugs and screws should have been used. Especially as it's a roughcast finish and the Omnibox will not be sitting flush with the wall.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

I would disagree.  If you look at where the black and white cables come out of the Virgin box it would mean the box was on the wall where the Openreach box has been placed.