cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Possible to get new installation via back garden?

Zogger
Joining in

I'm currently a virgin media customer, but I'm in the process of selling my house and buying another.

The virgin media postcode checker says that virgin media is not available at my new address.

Meanwhile on openreach, there's only 'super fast' fibre up to about 60 or 70Mb and the full fibre is planned for between now and Dec 2026, so would ideally have faster internet sooner!

I've drawn a beautiful artwork which I've attached below showing the position of the house and other houses.

The new house (outlined in green) is in a private road, and the front of the house faces onto a private car park. As far as I can see, none of the houses in the private road have virgin available.

The rear garden faces onto two different public roads and is surrounded by a brick wall.

Some very nearby properties do have up to 1Gb speeds available with virgin, in fact some were built at the same time but happen to face onto the public road instead of the private one. (e.g. #2 road X in the picture). Most houses on road X come back as virgin being available, except for #1 road X which is directly next door to the house we're buying - this one doesn't say it's available or unavailable, but instead comes back with a form to fill in with promise of a response within 10 days.

There's also a cabletel cover on the junction of road X and Y directly outside the wall, though not all the houses / flats on road Y have virgin available. The nearest cabinet I can see is about 50-60m west on road X (not totally sure if it's a virgin one)

So what I'm wondering, even though the checker says that VM is not currently available, is there any hope of getting an installation anyway via the back garden, since it faces onto a road where VM is available? If so, how would I go about it? Or is it a total non-starter?

Thanks!

Screenshot 2023-06-25 at 18.32.25.png

2 REPLIES 2

Joseph_B
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hey @Zogger,

Welcome to the Community Forums and thanks for the post.

Loving the artwork you provided does help me to visualize what you mean, for this the postcode checker does provide the best information on if we can service your property soon and would allow you the option to fill in a form for updates, in your case what I would recommend you do is reach out directly to the sales team on 0800 183 1234, and discuss the installation options here.

Joe

Tudor
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@Joseph_B 

"for this the postcode checker does provide the best information on if we can service your property soon and would allow you the option to fill in a form for updates,"

This answer just means the OP will never get a VM connection. His house postcode is for the private road and VM will NEVER service this property because private roads are never cabled due to too many problems. What the OP is asking is for a spotter to ascertain if it is practical to get a VM connection into the rear of his house via the public road behind it. Unless there are any hidden problems I see this  being very doable.

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2