cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hitron Chita regular rebooting.

THAtNewlands
Tuning in

Hi all, 

I have had Virgin Business broadband installed on the 17th of December and from the offset had issues with the router completely rebooting itself approximately every 2 hours leaving us without internet and phone lines for roughly 5 to 10 minutes at a time.  I contacted  technical support who blamed our 2 hardwired network printers and suggested I contacted Xerox, reluctantly I disconnected the printers and it still rebooted.  I phoned back and they told me they "boosted" the signal and to wait a few hours, again this felt like I was being fobbed off.  After phoning again and moaning they organised an engineer to come out. He came out on the 24th and tested the line quality etc and stated that everything connection wise was perfect so concluded I had faulty hardware so changed the router for another Hitron Chita.  Unfortunately we are still experiencing exactly the same problem which is a major headache - not so much losing the internet, but losing the phones are a major inconvenience. I have created a connection monitor and uploaded the chart which has been running since this morning.Connection.png

Anyone had similar issues, or can give me any advise?

Cheers.

46 REPLIES 46

Is your circuit still flapping every couple of hours? Or what?

The thing about your downstream power is that technically 11 or 12 dBmv is in spec. But once it tops 10 dBmv (at least in the residential service world), they either stick an attenuator on or they move you to a higher attenuated tap point in the local cabinet.

Seph - ( DEFROCKED - My advice is at your risk)

chermie
On our wavelength

@Sephiroth wrote:

Is your circuit still flapping every couple of hours? Or what?

The thing about your downstream power is that technically 11 or 12 dBmv is in spec. But once it tops 10 dBmv (at least in the residential service world), they either stick an attenuator on or they move you to a higher attenuated tap point in the local cabinet.

Yes, indeed, it is now rebooting even more frequently than usual (several times a day). They need to do something with it, as it's cutting me off from the internet for 5-10 minutes every time it reboots (sometimes in the middle of the meeting). It's really annoying. 

Peter.

Adri_G
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hey chermie, thank you for your posts and replies on our help forums.

We're sorry to hear of the issues you've had with your hub rebooting frequently, please be advised we can only offer support to residential accounts and customers on this forum as newapollo explained, however, based on what we read above you should expect an engineer to visit today.

Please, let us know if all goes well and if the hub was fixed or replaced so we know it's sorted.

Adri
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

chermie
On our wavelength

Hello everyone,

Just a quick update from me (perhaps someone will find it helpful). The VM technician installed an attenuator, and the rebooting stopped right away. It hasn't rebooted even once in over two weeks since the problem was addressed.

Many thanks again for all the replies and helpful tips.

All the best.

Peter.

Just goes to show that you can indeed get help on the residential forum! Fact is, the Hitron has to do all the trhings done by the residential m odem in orderr to get going. The VM front end sees the Hitron's handle and passes you through to the VMB data centre which then enables a GRE tunnel to be established between VMB and your modem.

Pretty much what a residential service does when logging on to an employer's VPN.

Seph - ( DEFROCKED - My advice is at your risk)

Toxic5
Tuning in

I had a residential service for 2 years, impeccable broadband coverage, no complaints. In March I moved to a business service, same premises and in coming line, the only change was from a HUB 4 Router to a CHITA. It is now a nightmare, I have had a number of Tech visits and a swap for a new router but still experience similar problems as reported here. My biggest gripes are;

1] You CANNOT have the same SID for both 2.4 & 5G Freq's, that was permissible with the HUB 4 (this seems a backwards step that it cannot be done). Very important if replacing an existing router and have multiple devices already associated with your own network.

2] When I change the SID name & Password sometimes the changes save and sometimes they do not. When the Router goes through its own random reboot process, it will restore the factory SID and Password. As above, with multiple devices on existing network, its imperative you can do this.

Quite frankly, this modem is not fit for service. The residential offering of the HUB 4 is head & shoulders better and still allows the same GB download/up speeds. My choice would be to have my HUB 4 back. Regards Jon.

Hi Jon

i purchased a TpLink router from Amazon and I haven’t had any issues since!!

connect the Chita router as a modem as it’s useless for anything else

i had one drop out yesterday for about 5 mins but it fixed itself but since then it’s been a few months and it’s been all good! 

chermie
On our wavelength

After more problems with the VM service, I decided to drop the static IP and switch to a dynamic one. Now, the "Residential Gateway Function" option is available, which I believe is a modem mode. Does anyone know if I can still use the mobile backup VM provided in the modem mode? I read that the web interface isn't available in modem mode, so I worry that the mobile backup won't work. Does anyone know?

Many thanks in advance and warm regards,

Peter.

Hi @chermie 👋.

Thanks for reaching out to us, we would advise that you reach out to the Business site for all assistive queries as this is residential and we would not be able to assist. Here is their link 👉 Business .

Many thanks.

Sabrina

legacy1
Alessandro Volta

@chermie wrote:

Does anyone know if I can still use the mobile backup VM provided in the modem mode? I read that the web interface isn't available in modem mode, so I worry that the mobile backup won't work. Does anyone know?

likely not you need your own router to do this

---------------------------------------------------------------