cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hitron Chita regular rebooting.

THAtNewlands
Tuning in

Hi all, 

I have had Virgin Business broadband installed on the 17th of December and from the offset had issues with the router completely rebooting itself approximately every 2 hours leaving us without internet and phone lines for roughly 5 to 10 minutes at a time.  I contacted  technical support who blamed our 2 hardwired network printers and suggested I contacted Xerox, reluctantly I disconnected the printers and it still rebooted.  I phoned back and they told me they "boosted" the signal and to wait a few hours, again this felt like I was being fobbed off.  After phoning again and moaning they organised an engineer to come out. He came out on the 24th and tested the line quality etc and stated that everything connection wise was perfect so concluded I had faulty hardware so changed the router for another Hitron Chita.  Unfortunately we are still experiencing exactly the same problem which is a major headache - not so much losing the internet, but losing the phones are a major inconvenience. I have created a connection monitor and uploaded the chart which has been running since this morning.Connection.png

Anyone had similar issues, or can give me any advise?

Cheers.

46 REPLIES 46

I use the Chita in modem only mode and was told by Virgin business that the backup dongle would work, however in my experience when Virgin goes down the backup does not work at all.  I resorted to buying a Ubiquiti LTE backup for my setup and that works flawlessly and completely seamlessly too, (plus you can use a SIM for whichever network has the best coverage in your area and not tied to O2).

chermie
On our wavelength

I'm losing hope that the rebooting problem will ever be fixed 😒. After the VM technician installed a 6dB attenuator, things got slightly better but weren't completely resolved. The downstream signal levels were still too high, and the modem kept rebooting, just slightly less frequently. On the second visit, they said the attenuator was messing up the upstream signal and removed it, saying that the signal levels were actually okay and it wasn't needed.

The signal levels deffo aren't ok, and the modem keeps rebooting. Sometimes, multiple times a day.

I bought a 10dB attenuator and that brought the downstream signal levels to around ~5-8dBmV, but I noticed the number of errors went up. The VM technician said I shouldn't use that attenuator as it would make things worse, not better.

The upstream signal levels actually went up after I installed that 10dB attenuator and are now oscillating around ~40-41dBmV. The internet is working, and the modem stopped rebooting, but I don't think that's a proper solution. It's really frustrating, and I'm running out of ideas. My only option is to cancel my contract with VM, as I've been wrestling with them for so long. I don't think another technician visit makes any sense.

Below are my signal levels without an attenuator:

Screenshot 2023-10-23 at 18.27.30-1.png

Screenshot 2023-10-23 at 18.27.45-1.png

The best thing is to purchase a tp link router and use the Chita as a modem. 

Sephiroth
Alessandro Volta

@Chermie - Your 10dB forward path attenuator is the correct attenuator.  In their stupid "wisdom", VM now fit an equalizer, which can screw up the upstream, though I wouldn't have expected that in your case as 40dBmv is perfectly good..

I presume you're very close to the cabinet, so less cable attenuation and thus 32dBmv is all the power needed for a successful upstream signal.

Btw, did you post a full downstream set of stats?

Seph - ( DEFROCKED - My advice is at your risk)

chermie
On our wavelength

Thank you so much for your reply. I posted the full set of up and downstream stats without the attenuator in my post above. 

That's how it looks like after I installed the 10dB attenuator: 

Screenshot 2023-10-24 at 10.15.40.pngScreenshot 2023-10-24 at 10.15.49.png

chermie
On our wavelength

@Sacchinn wrote:

The best thing is to purchase a tp link router and use the Chita as a modem. 

Yeah, I tried that, but that doesn't solve the signal level problems. 😣

Sephiroth
Alessandro Volta

@Chermie - The stats as posted are not complete.  I would expect 31x DOCSIS 3.0 channels and 1 x DOCSIS 3.1 channel on the downstream.  For the upstream, I would have expected 5x D3.0 channels and 1x D3.1 channel.

So, what's going on?  Can you please post everything?!

chermie
On our wavelength

Oh, I see what you mean. Sorry, I just wanted to give a quick overview of the signal levels. Here is the whole thing:

vm1.jpgvm2.jpg

Sephiroth
Alessandro Volta

Just to say, I won't be able to view the stats before the mods have approved your images.  You can see them, I can't!

chermie
On our wavelength

@Sephiroth wrote:

Just to say, I won't be able to view the stats before the mods have approved your images.  You can see them, I can't!

Oh I see. Maybe it would help if I'd uploaded them somewhere. Here's the link: http://e.pc.cd/V2ky6alK