cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Dave_DW

For the eagle-eyed amongst us, you may have noticed a few changes to the look and feel of some of the screens for your 360 box.

That is because we have released an exciting and fresh update straight to your box. Some of the changes are big and some are more subtle, but all are aimed at making it easier for you to get the most out of your 360 experience. So, what has changed?

A new home screen

Dave_DW_2-1658838402516.jpeg

The home screen has been given a makeover to provide easier access to more content all in one place. This is the screen to locate all your personalised content, and what you see will vary depending on which profile you are logged into. You can now continue watching where you left off, access your recordings, or scroll through your personal recommendations all from the home screen.

Dave_DW_3-1658838434875.jpeg

*Top tip* - You can also continue to access your recordings via the 360 remote's voice control. Simply press the microphone and tell your TV what recording you want to watch.

Improved catch up screen

It’s not just the Home screen that has had a revamp. We’ve made some improvements to the Catch up screen too in order to make catch up content more accessible.

Dave_DW_6-1658838694007.png

If you’ve previously used the Box Sets and Movies area, you will be familiar with this layout. Your favourite shows from channels such as ITV, Channel 4 and Channel 5 can be found on the Channels section. If you are unsure what to watch or want to find something new, then the Discover section is the one for you. This is also where you can route through to BBC iPlayer. Catch up content remains available for 30 days after initial broadcast.

Dave_DW_5-1658838659142.jpeg

Improved On Demand Subtitles

We have improved the subtitles for on demand content to make them easier to read. This means the subtitles will now show in a larger, clearer font with a fully black background. You can see the difference between the new look and the old look subtitles below.

New look subtitles

Dave_DW_7-1658839129554.png

Old look subtitles

Dave_DW_8-1658839168050.png

Seamlessly record films interrupted by other programmes

Previously, films that were split into two programmes by a short programme (usually the news) were recorded as two separate episodes. With this update, they will now be recorded seamlessly as a single recording meaning you will no longer have to switch to a different recording part way through.

40 Comments
Jimmyswanston22
On our wavelength

Can’t get iplayer via catch up where has it gone I have to go to guide push the three dots button then iplayer that way so annoying needs to be added back

Paul_LFC
On our wavelength

There are some positive aspects to the change, but negatives too. How do we rearrange the rows on the home screen? If that functionality doesn't exist yet, then it should be added.

My home screen starts with a row of "Top Picks", none of which are related to what I actually watch. I don't know how the programmes here have been chosen, and we should be able to hide programmes not relevant to our interests from appearing here.

Next is Pay per view wrestling, which I've never bought and wouldn't buy. This takes up a whole row for one event, and I'd prefer to hide it.

I have to scroll down three rows before I actually get to programmes I watch. Those should be the first thing I see on the home screen.

newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Hi @Jimmyswanston22 

You can use the voice button and just say, "iPlayer" from any section including catchup

Jimmyswanston22
On our wavelength

Just said iplayer through voice command takes me straight to the app not the catch up section seriously they need to add it back only way I can do it is go to guide that way 

frost2029
Dialled in

Really need a way to reorder this as it's just adding more spam to your home screen that a lot of people don't want. Some may find it useful but we really need a way to reorder it so we can put the stuff we want where we want it.

LenG
On our wavelength

I completely agree with @Paul_LFC

There were a couple of meaningless rows with names which made no sense but seem to have since disappeared.  However, there are still at least three rows of stuff at the top in which  I have no interest and which clog up the screen.

There is currently nothing in the various recommendation or "picked for you" lines which I would ever consider watching.  Please provide a way to move them out of sight or hide them completely.

Also, there is a live preview screen which seems to constantly show my most-watched TV live channel.  I almost never watch live TV, except sometimes a bit of the news first thing in the morning.  As a result my "most used" TV channel is stuck on news broadcasts which are generally sport at the moment and the thing babbles away at me.  I would really like to be able to turn this thing off - I really don't want content displayed unless I am actually watching it.

There are some nice features to the new layout but unless a decent amount of meaningful customisation is allowed I would honestly prefer to go back to the old look

Jimmyswanston22
On our wavelength

Virgin catch up now since the change doesn’t give u the dates for any channel on catch up I have to go via the epg to do that so annoying

newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

HI @LenG 

"there is a live preview screen which seems to constantly show my most-watched TV live channel.  I almost never watch live TV, except sometimes a bit of the news first thing in the morning.  As a result my "most used" TV channel is stuck on news broadcasts which are generally sport at the moment and the thing babbles away at me.  I would really like to be able to turn this thing off "

The live preview screen actually shows the last channel that you were tuned into. There isn't a way to turn it off, however I feel this is a good addition to the 360 . I like to be able keep watching the channel content I was on whilst scrolling the guide. I think it would be good if this feature actually showed a preview of the channel that is currently highlighted when scrolling through the guide. 

Hopefully the home screen content in the "Recommended for you" will be updated with content that does relate to the types of programs we favour, I think it may have reset itself when it updated to 4.41. There is a personalisation option under Settings > System > Personalisation which can be turned on or off. If it's turned on then it should base the recommendations on what you actually watch and not what VMO2 would like to promote.

LenG
On our wavelength

@newapollo

Watching preferences vary from person to person, which is why I say it would be good to be able to turn the preview screen off rather than saying it should be permanently removed.  Basically, my take is that it is my TV screen and I would like to have control over what it displayed.

The new Virgin Home Screen looks very like the new Android TV home screen which was introduced to a mixed reception some while ago.  However, the saving grace there was that not only was the interface reasonably customizable but also you could actually completely replace it with one of a multitude of alternatives.  From memory it was actually rather more tightly locked down when it first came out but alternatives soon appeared.- which is one of the nice things about having a standard and accessible OS at the bottom of the heap.

Jimmyswanston22
On our wavelength

wonder why itv channels do not do watch from the start or have any programmes marked as catch up with the arrow lit up while the programme is on very odd that. Plus not liking the catch up as now it doesn’t come up with the days broadcast unless u do it via the epg

davep1628
On our wavelength

Even more difficult now to select radio stations!

Jimmyswanston22
On our wavelength

Yh davep1628 but I just use Radioplayer app so don’t listen via virgin they don’t update the stations on there

newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Hi @davep1628 Just use the voice control from any screen and say , "radio 1", "radio2" etc

LenG
On our wavelength

To be honest, the more I use the new interface the more I wish it had not been upgraded.

Meldrew-V
Tuning in

I am trying to get my Tivo box changed for a V6 so that I can update 360. Reading this lot, I'm not sure it's a good idea?

LenG
On our wavelength

Anything new will have teething problems and I hope Virgin are going to make some significant improvements to the interface over the coming months.

In the meantime, if you are happy with what you have I'd stay with it.  You can upgrade later but once you have made the decision you are stuck with it.  Just keep you eye on what people are saying and hang fire until the general consensus is favourable.

Meldrew-V
Tuning in

Sounds like a good idea for someone like me who only really watches the Freeview channels anyway.

newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Hi again @Meldrew-V 

If you, or anyone else is in two minds about switching to the 360 interface then have a read of the https://www.virginmedia.com/help/tv/virgin-tv-360 page.

There's also a thread <<< here >>>  which although  a little out of date, compares the differences between the 360 and the older V6/Tivo boxes.

Meldrew-V
Tuning in

I thought they said upgrade. It seems to me to be a retrograde step! I shall stick with my Tivo box that has everything I need.

Thanks for everyone's advice.. I shall close this post if I can find out how to!

newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Hi again @Meldrew-V 

I've included a screenshot below, but scroll to the top of this page, and click on topic options, then click on unsubscribe.

Clipboard01.jpg