cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

360 Features v TIVO Features

SpacePhoenix
Fibre optic

I was reading somewhere that some features of the TIVO boxes are exclusive to TIVO boxes and so wouldn't be allowed to be on the 360 boxes. Is there a list of them features somewhere?

12 REPLIES 12

newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Hi SpacePhoenix,

The 360 doesn't have all the bells and whistles of the Tivo/V6, however I never used most of them so don't miss them, and unlike  a number of users on the forums I'm happy with the switch to 360.

There's lots of useful info on how the 360 works on https://www.virginmedia.com/help/virgin-tv-360 

Here's a list of the main differences between the boxes :-

It isn’t possible to transfer any data from the TiVo/V6 box to 360. This data will also be lost during the upgrade process for existing customers.
So you will lose series links and all recordings.

The 360 is integrated with BBC iPlayer and Amazon but not Netflix.

The radio channels no longer have channel numbers like on the Tivo/V6. On the 360 you press Home and then highlight Guide; you’ll see the radio app available in the bottom right of the screen. Alternatively, you can use voice search and say ‘radio’.    (The 360 does carry the RadioLine app which carries hundreds of extra radio channels)

The 360 does not have a wish list however you can search for something using voice (e.g. ‘Movies with Matthew McConaughey’) and then manually save the result to your Watch list.

You can't filter by HD channels, although you can set up a Profile and just list HD channels on that profile.

Currently only the year of programs is displayed, and not the full date.

Each 360 remote pairs 1 to 1 with the box, it does not use infra-red (IR). This means you can only use one remote with a box and not multiple remotes, although you can buy an All In One or Harmony remote.

There is no undelete feature. Once a recording is deleted you will not be able to retrieve this recording.

You can't set the 360 to record new only, however you can select which series you want to start recording from in your series links, the box will record everything from that point onwards.

The 360 will record content in the definition of the channel you setup the series link on. If you want HD, ensure you check the channel details when setting up the series link and don't select the SD version

You can't set future recordings, ie those that aren't displayed in the EPG such as the next series of Doctor Who.

Dave
I don't work for Virgin Media.
I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge.
Problem solved? Click to mark as a Helpful Answer, or use Kudos to say thanks
The do's and don'ts.
Keep the community welcoming for all. Please read the FAQ's
The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

newapollo has alluded to this, but I'll expand on a couple of points.

360-series links can only be set where a programme is currently in the 14-day EPG, a TiVo SL can be set from any guide entry - so a single VoD asset is sufficient to generate the "create series link" menu. That SL has a lot more options for fine-tuning: Start from particular series, HD/non-HD/HD-preferred, new-only/repeats, VoD/recordings, single-channel/multi-channel etc.

Some of those options are rendered redundant by the 360 doing an HD-swap, but the 360-series-links are currently a far more basic single-channel affair.

Are there any particular features of TiVo/V6 that you are interested in, then shoot away. There's aspects of TiVo/V6 that are simply not replicated in 360, and others that are just done differently.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Is it true that the new box doesn't automatically record the last hour on the current six channels? Very useful for news and sport.

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

It doesn't have the ability to swap between tuners by pressing info and scroll down - so you have no direct control over what each tuner is doing save for setting recordings.

It does have "Startover" on selected channels, which behaves like the iPlayer "watch from beginning" and is effectively a cloud-based recording.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

@newapollo wrote:

Hi SpacePhoenix,

The 360 doesn't have all the bells and whistles of the Tivo/V6, however I never used most of them so don't miss them, and unlike  a number of users on the forums I'm happy with the switch to 360.

There's lots of useful info on how the 360 works on https://www.virginmedia.com/help/virgin-tv-360 

Here's a list of the main differences between the boxes :-

Integrated how exactly ?

The radio channels no longer have channel numbers like on the Tivo/V6. On the 360 you press Home and then highlight Guide; you’ll see the radio app available in the bottom right of the screen. Alternatively, you can use voice search and say ‘radio’.    (The 360 does carry the RadioLine app which carries hundreds of extra radio channels)

Never used the radio channels myself..!

The 360 does not have a wish list however you can search for something using voice (e.g. ‘Movies with Matthew McConaughey’) and then manually save the result to your Watch list.

Don't use this on my V6 neither..!

You can't filter by HD channels, although you can set up a Profile and just list HD channels on that profile.

Its actually nice to view all the channels as I often watch stuff not in HD (not all channels have an equivalent).

There is no undelete feature. Once a recording is deleted you will not be able to retrieve this recording.

I very rarely undelete stuff!

...however you can select which series you want to start recording from in your series links, the box will record everything from that point onwards.

Even repeats ? If you set the box to record from Series 3 onwards (lets assume Series 4 is the new series), Series 3 correctly get recorded and then it also correctly records Series 4 but what happens if Series 3 gets repeated before Series 5 begins, does the box re-record Series 3 ?

You can't set future recordings, ie those that aren't displayed in the EPG such as the next series of Doctor Who.

This is a real bummer and really difficult to track recordings........ If it wasn't for this oversight, I may have contemplated the switch!!!

...see above points in red!

newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@deans6571 wrote:

Integrated how exactly ?

If you search for a program then the results will show if it's available on iPlayer or Amazon Prime,  however it won't show if the program is on Netflix. You have to open the Netflix app and search from within the app.

Info below from https://www.virginmedia.com/help/virgin-tv-360  

Why don’t search results show results from apps like Netflix?

We have integration with BBC iPlayer and Amazon currently and we’re working on delivering deeper integrations with more apps in the near future.

however you can select which series you want to start recording from in your series links, the box will record everything from that point onwards.

Even repeats ? If you set the box to record from Series 3 onwards (lets assume Series 4 is the new series), Series 3 correctly get recorded and then it also correctly records Series 4 but what happens if Series 3 gets repeated before Series 5 begins, does the box re-record Series 3 ?

At present there is no New Only option. The 360 will record all new shows from the season that you start your recordings from. Unfortunately, it will also record repeats of shows that you have watched then deleted. This is a bug that has a fix coming in a future release. You would have to delete the series links and start again from series 4 if you didn't want the box to re-record series 3.

Dave
The do's and don'ts.
The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali

Ernie_C
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

A correction.

The recording of repeats when a previously recorded program has been watched and deleted no longer occurs.

The bug was fixed in 4.34.

newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Thanks for pointing that out @Ernie_C ,

I honestly hadn't noticed

Dave
The do's and don'ts.

"It isn’t possible to transfer any data from the TiVo/V6 box to 360. This data will also be lost during the upgrade process for existing customers.

So you will lose series links and all recordings."

To clarify, are you saying that if I were to go for the OTA update to my V6 box, I would lose all of my existing recordings and series links?