cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Connecting to wrong number even though number dialled is correct

jock_183
Joining in

I have seen that others are experiencing a similar problem. I am dialling a Virgin landline from a Virgin mobile and sometimes get an answer from a completely unknown recipient, sometimes can get no answer from the person called. Yesterday, my intended call rang at the correct place and the person at the other end was hearing a conversation with a third party, completely different to the call I was hearing. This is truly messed up. The number I am dialling is set up on speed dial and works often enough to know it is correct, so I cannot be mis-dialling. The problem is happening often enough to warrant serious investigation. I am sufficiently worried to stop using the mobile to phone this number and use my own landline instead since I cannot guarantee who is being connected in. Can anyone say how to report this to Virgin Mobile? I can find no options for this sort of problem within the Virgin Media website.

63 REPLIES 63

@Chris_W1 : I'm glad you agree to my hypothesis however why won't you respond directly to me? It would be nice if my issue could also be sorted. Many thanks.

Hi mildenhall, thanks for the message. 

I will send you a PM so that this can be looked into further. 

Please look out for the purple envelope. 

Kind regards, Chris. 

Oh dear, Chris_W1 is now sending me PMs addressed to @mildenhall

Hi The_Hepcat, this has now been corrected. 

mildenhall please respond to the PM when you are free. 

Kind regards, Chris. 

@Chris_W1 : Thanks for the message. I've PMed the response.

Recently, my wife has on multiple occasions been connected to a GP surgery when calling our home phone. Simultaneously, each time, our home phone rang, the caller ID on our home phone said that the call was from my wife, however I spoke to surprised people expecting a Dr's surgery! 

This is the exact same issue that I had almost a year ago. A year ago an on site technician said he couldn't do anything as it was a back office account issue. He left and must have done something VM's end as the issue was sorted within 24 hours of the technicians visit.

Thanks

Hi mildenhall, thanks for the reply. The PM has not come though, would you be able to check if sent and resend please as nothing has been received. 

Kind regards, Chris

Thanks Chris. I rarely call landlines so I am not sure I can definitively state how wide the issue is. However, given I have had this problem previously with another landline (see earlier in the thread), the common factor is my mobile. I have had this device and number with Virgin for several years. Anyway, it would be good to check this 'provisioning' (whatever that is) for my mobile phone please. Thanks

Hi John, thanks for the reply. 

I will send you a PM so that we can get some details from you. 

Please look out for the purple envelope. 

Kind regards, Chris. 

mildenhall
Rising star

@Chris_W1 : A technician visited this morning.

He said there was absolutely no problem with any of my hardware.

1. I could possibly upgrade my Shub4 to a Shub5 but he doubted it would change anything.
  2. I could change my number but this would prove problematic due to my wife and I working from home occasionally. We have no mobile signal for any provider! Hence the landline and many people knowing our number.
  3. As stated in one of my previous messages - "It's a back office issue. It will be sorted within 24-48 hours".

I am now waiting 48 hours.....

Hi @mildenhall 

Sorry to hear that this was unresolved for you with the tech appointment. I can see that you're in an open private conversation with my colleague regarding the same issue. If you have any further questions or concerns that need addressing, then please do continue your private conversation and my colleague will be able to assist you further on this. 

Here to help 🙂
Virgin Media Forums Agent
Carley