cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upgrading from BT.. power supply and other issues

GavShrews
Tuning in

I hope this will be picked up by someone at VM, as there have been many poor-quality issues.

1. The first team came to connect fibre to my house said it couldn't be done (distance too far for the cable).  I was told an engineer would need to do a site visit, but my order was then 'lost' and nothing happened. 

2. The second team arrived three months later.  The could fit the cable with no problem.   The first team came on a Friday afternoon; I guess they wanted to clock off early!?!

3. Had to wait a long time for the engineer's visit (as expected). He installed the kit with no problem, but as I have thick walls, it needed the WiFi booster (as confirmed with the VM Connect app).  However, the engineer doesn't have any of those, so although the main WiFi was installed, I could not get WiFi everywhere. Trying to get the booster order was a nightmare.  Many hours on support chat and support calls.  Eventually got one ordered. 
I was still having to run the BT service at the same time as VM... which turned out to be a good thing.

4. As a day or two after the new Hub 5X was installed, the power supply failed! No VM internet. 

5. Again, many hours trying to contact support.  Unfortunately, a replacement power supply could not be sent out due to the open delivery order of the WiFi booster!  This is rediculous VM. Internet is down due to faulty equipment and you can't send out the replacement????

6. Eventually, the WiFi booster turned up.  But guess what? No power supply in that box!!! This booster for the Hub 5X requires a separate power supply and does not plug directly into the power socket.  So... back on to support. 

7. However, even though the booster has been delivered, the 'order' is still open on the system. 

So I now have two useless pieces of VM kit that need new power supplies, and VM can't order the replacements!!

It's a good job I didn't cancel BT.  I was not expecting to have to pay for two internet providers though!

13 REPLIES 13

jpeg1
Alessandro Volta

Your complaint will go to the Ombudsman, not Ofcom.

Be very clear that you reject the £20, or they may say you have accepted it as a resolution. 

- jpeg1
My name is NOT Alessandro. That's just a tag Virginmedia sticks on some contributors. Please ignore it.

Hi GavShrews, 

Thanks for coming back and updating us on how things are going. We're sorry to hear this is continuing for you. As mentioned in my previous post, due to the connection you have, we're not able to help support you in the Community as we're unable to order any equipment or run through diagnostics with you. 

It may be worth calling the team and requesting for an engineer visit instead. You can reach the team on 150 / 0345 454 1111. 

Apologies once again. 

Thanks, 

Kath_F
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

There's no option on the phone number to request an engineer. 

Instead, I have to wait on the phone for ages to be passed between support people.   

Just got through again only for them to hang up!

Always go through the question on 'what lights are showing on the hub'. Never reading the notes that there's no power to the hub.

It's coming up to two weeks now.  Can't VM support the kit it installs???

Thanks for coming back to us @GavShrews

If you're able to call our team on 0345 454 1111 or 150 from your Virgin Media landline and select option 2 and then option 1, this should then put you through to the correct team to request an engineer booking

Thanks,

David_Bn