Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Virgin Hub 3 constant red light

Joining in


It seems that yet again I'm having issues with my VM Hub 3. It was replaced in the past for connectivity issues/red light issue. It appears to be a recurring theme. I've had some connectivity issues lately, where the connection drops randomly, sometimes on just the 2.4ghz connected devices, sometimes the 2.4ghz and 5ghz connected devices. I have checked the upstream and downstream power levers and they appear to be within accepted tolerances. The router, however, has a solid red light for 95% of the time, the other 5%, it is yellow, it has not been white for maybe 3 weeks.

I'm a computer engineer and fully aware of the usual procedures to reset, reboot the router etc... none of these made any difference to the red light.

Here's what I've already tried:

1. Switched the hub off at the power supply and waited 20 minutes.

2. Went through the online testing/reset procedure (another 20 minutes).

3. Checked all wires were firmly connected.

4. Checked router setting for upstream/downstream levels (has no bearing on red light, I know).

5. Hub is placed in open space. It always has been, it never gets warm.

6. Reset the hub by pushing the reset button on the back

Despite all of the above, the solid red light is still on.

I have contacted customer services and was told the red light isn't a problem!, I was also told it's a network issue, that the network is causing the red light and everybody has a red light. The agent then went on to tell me to do a speed test and then said 'You have full speed, I told you, the red light isn't an issue' and basically they could do nothing.

Not to be blunt but... I know it isn't a network issue, the light is there to show the device is overheating, so, either it's overheating or it's faulty and thinks it's overheating. Either way, it isn't a network issue and I feel at this point that virgin think they can fob me off/blind me with technical terms and I'll just say Ok then no problem. I also know that running a speed test (that wouldn't even run on two of my devices) has no bearing on what lights do or do not show on my router, I mean, seriously?
Whenever there is an issue, ringing virgin just seems to end with the same responses, and no fix. The last time we finally had an engineer sent out, was only after several calls and with me challenging the agent on the telephone about the upstream/downstream levels (that they had conveniently overlooked), that they finally capitulated and booked an engineer. It just seems to be a constant battle to obtain even barely acceptable service.

At this point I have to unplug the router at night to ensure there isn't a fire, I know this is incredibly unlikely but so is winning the lottery and someone does that almost every week. 

So I signed up on here, I don't know what else to do, can I please get some intelligent help with this issue on here? please, no 'turn it off and on again' lol Thank you.


Forum Team
Forum Team

Hello NickSB2013


We're sorry to hear of the Hub issues and red light, we can understand the concern this can cause and appreciate you reaching out via the forums for support. Welcome to the community.


I will send you a Private Message to get some more details from you to assist. Check the envelope in the top right of the forum when signed in for the message.