cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New customer, possible to move outdoor brown box?

MV20
On our wavelength

Hi. I signed up to Virgin Media last week and I'm due to be activated on the 4th of May (1 month advance notice to Sky for leaving caused this). The engineer came out to fit the brown external box at the end of last week and while the job itself is fine, I feel like it's in the wrong place, for two reasons.

I live on a walk so foot traffic his high, I'm concerned that any idiot can decide to be clever and damage the box, it's a prime target for them. If he'd have knocked on I could've told the engineer to literally put it around the corner which would mean it's inside my gate and off the public path (see image below, the gate is the gate to my home).

However, another issue with where he's put it is that it comes in under my stairs. We have stairs that go up one way to half way, then back the other direction to the top, this means there's a lot of space under them and ATM it's full of stored items, making clearing that out for them to work is going to be a pain. It's also as far away from where we need the boxes (TV and Internet) as it could be in the house, meaning they'll have to route the wires quite a way to set it up.

So my question is, is it possible to get the box moved? We could've discussed it with the engineer if he'd have knocked on. We did hear noise but thought it was the neighbour who has been working on the house lately, so didn't think to check.

Thanks in advance.

337308830_243561264788760_713564292042396172_n (1).jpg

5 REPLIES 5

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
It shouldnt be too difficult because in the first 14 days after the d=servuice goes live you can cancell it and incur no charges whatsoever - clearly VM don twant that to happen so may be receptive to your request.

Call the Pre-installation and delivery team on 0800 052 1734 and see what they can do

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Coaxial outputs from the box don't have to go straight through the wall. They can be sent around outside walls to where they are needed. The box also requires mains power. This is sent through one of the coaxial feeds, so an available socket is required where one of these cable enters the house.

VM 350BB 2xV6 & Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, ASDA/Tesco PAYG Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

MV20
On our wavelength

Well there are no plug sockets anywhere near where they've attached the box, is that going to be an issue?

MV20
On our wavelength

Thank you, I'll give them a bell.

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@MV20 wrote:

Well there are no plug sockets anywhere near where they've attached the box, is that going to be an issue?

No, you misunderstood.  There needs to be a power supply socket where the cable comes into your house from outside. 

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks