cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Moved to new flat -- fibre services available on ground floor but not second?

kylecairns
Joining in

I'm keen to continue my services with Virgin but the system says my new address on the 2nd floor doesn't have fibre broadband available. My neighbour who lives on the ground floor has full access and is a virgin media customer. I can see the brown virgin media cable box outside on the building. I know the building is wired. Why is it not possible to connect me to that same box my neighbour uses?

Please help!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

jpeg1
Alessandro Volta

As @legacy1 says, VM installers won't work outside above the first floor.

Your best bet is to check with the landlord or managing agent whether a cable can be run internally from the ground floor. There might be a cable duct where the cable can be pulled. 

- jpeg1
My name is NOT Alessandro. That's just a tag Virginmedia sticks on some contributors. Please ignore it.

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

4 REPLIES 4

legacy1
Alessandro Volta

It likely is possible for you to get broadband they just don't pre install to 2nd floor when not needed.

Its just a case of dill a hole pass cable down to the box or to a new box

---------------------------------------------------------------

jpeg1
Alessandro Volta

As @legacy1 says, VM installers won't work outside above the first floor.

Your best bet is to check with the landlord or managing agent whether a cable can be run internally from the ground floor. There might be a cable duct where the cable can be pulled. 

- jpeg1
My name is NOT Alessandro. That's just a tag Virginmedia sticks on some contributors. Please ignore it.

kylecairns
Joining in

Thanks so much. I have received permission from the landlord to run the cable internally up the close. 

The problem is that Virgin's sales team will not let me book an appointment due to the property not appearing in their available address finder. They insist I submit a form for them to check the property if the address isn't appearing but I've never received any follow up from them despite filling it in twice over the space of a fortnight. When I spoke with the sales team over the phone about this, they just said that must mean it's not possible.

Should I ring them again to say I have written permission from the landlord to run this cable internally up the close from a ground floor entry point?

nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

As there are no properly ducted internals in a communal area this may cause issues with health & safety (eg. The local authority or fire service may not approve of it on inspection). It would also likely require a legal wayleave agreement with the landlord. I think you are likely to have an uphill battle with this. Virgin is not covered by any kind of Universal Service Obligation, so can refuse to service a property without any comeback from the regulator.

VM 350BB 2xV6 & Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, ASDA/Tesco PAYG Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks