cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Landline switchover adapters

Smiley_Neil
On our wavelength

I received an adapter in the post this week, to connect my landline to my router. However, it's not as simple as that and I need some advice.

My router is in an upstairs bedroom, whilst the landline connects to the old point downstairs. I don't want the phone in the bedroom, so how do I connect it?

I have Cat5 ethernet running from the lounge to the bedroom (between the router and the TV, essentially). Can I connect the landline phone through Cat5 to the router? I presume I would need a BT plug (F) to RJ45 (M) adapter for the socket at one end of the ethernet, then an RJ45 (M) to RJ11 (M) adapter at the other end, to connect into the router. Will that work?

4 REPLIES 4

goslow
Alessandro Volta

Have a look at this kit and see if it is likely to be of any use

https://www.amazon.co.uk/PCSL-Brand-Telephone-Structured-Cabling/dp/B007UGF3EU

for use in conjunction with the VM-supplied adapter.

This simply uses a spare ethernet cable link to carry the phone signal. It is not connecting into your network in any way, just using the ethernet cable (instead of phone cable) to make the connection.

Alternatively, VM should offer to modify your home phone wiring (free of charge) to link the phone socket on the VM hub to your existing telephone wall sockets but that would involve VM installing additional telephone cable in your home to make such a link.

Lee_R
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi @Smiley_Neil thanks for posting and welcome back to our community.

Sorry for any concerns your pending landline switchover may be causing you.  You should find the answers to all of your questions, here. As suggested by the fantastic goslow, we're able to book a technician for you, to help you with your requirements. I am going to send you a private message. Please keep an eye on your inbox in the top right of your screen.

Regards

Lee_R

Smiley_Neil
On our wavelength

Thanks both and a technician looks like a good option..

@goslow that adapter is one possibility, at least from the phone to the ethernet cable (which is just a Cat5 cable in a wall, not connected otherwise). At the router end would be a RJ45 (M) to RJ11 (M) adapter, plugged into the router. As long as a Cat5 cable works to carry the signal then it will probably be the simplest method.

Regards

Neil

Hey Neil,

Thanks for coming back to us. I can see you're in a PM thread with my colleague, he's back in tomorrow so will reply to your message then 🙂

Best wishes.

John_GS
Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - How to pay my Virgin Media bill