cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hub 3, green flashing base light forever, no internet.

Alex_C
Joining in

Green flashing base light for hours, no internet.

Telewest wall socket: no visible power to be switched on. 

Have tried resetting: holding reset button for 60 seconds; no dice.

Have tried rebooting: switching off power for 10 seconds and switching on again; no dice.

Text from Virgin confirms my "kit has been activated".

Is the telewest wall socket the prime suspect?

As a new customer, I saw somewhere that it takes "two days" following "delivery or collection of the kit", but this is contradicted by the text saying my kit has been activated, and I collected the kit this morning.

Please help

15 REPLIES 15

@SuzieW wrote:

Same issue.  Box arrived today and followed install instructions around 4 hours ago.  My devices can find the wifi but the wifi doesn’t seem to be connected to the internet,  the Virgin wall socket was installed by the previous occupant around a year ago.

Suzie, can I assume that you have the same flashing green light on the hub? If so, then what it means is that the hub can’t connect to VM’s infrastructure ‘upstream’ if you like, yes, the WiFi may well be working, but that just connects devices to the hub. If the hub can’t communicate to the internet, then either can your equipment.

OK, if the hub is connected to the wall socket properly, realistically, the only other thing you can do to check inside the Omnibox, that’s the brown (sometimes grey) box on the outside front wall, and see if the cable connections in there are nice and tight with no obvious signs of damage - note that these boxes are often home to a small colony of spiders, so if you are even slightly arachnophobia, you might want to give that a miss. Otherwise, they can’t possibly harm you, but check the connections without disturbing them too much - spiders do get a bad press😉.

But, I digress, failing these tests then there are two possibilities, it is possible that your connection has been disconnected at the street cabinet, in which case you need a tech visit to reconnect you. Or, despite, what should happen, the new hub hasn’t actually been activated against your account. I believe that there is some paperwork in the box which mentions an ‘activation’ phone number. Now if you ring that, they will probably want two pieces of information, (I suppose that really they should already know but whatever), these are the MAC address of the hub and the serial number. These will be on a sticker on the base of the hub, so you might want to make of note of them first before you call.

Best wishes

SuzieW
Joining in

Thanks.  I called the activation number and as you say my equipment wasn’t activated against my account.  That’s now been done but it still isn’t working.  Might have an explore for this omnibox (spiders - pah!) but suspect it’ll end up that it’s been disconnected from the street box frustratingly.  Thanks for the response and advice.

Hi there @SuzieW, thanks for reaching out to us and a warm welcome to the Virgin Media forums! 👋🏼

I'm so sorry to hear about the issues with the broadband on your services. 😞
I've had a look and I can't see that the connection is there.

I'll send a private message so that we can further investigate.

Kind regards,
Ilyas.

Ilyas_Y
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

Thanks Ilyas.  An engineer came out today and resolved the issue (another service provider had cut the cable externally).  Now waiting for pods to arrive as signal strength is non-existent in some parts of the house.

This is great to hear @SuzieW Glad this has been resolved for you. 

Please do keep us updated if you have any further issues with your pods at all. We can support further if needed. 

Here to help 🙂
Virgin Media Forums Agent
Carley

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

It's quite possible the cable is disconnected at the street cabinet.  You will need a manned install to sort this out.

Call the pre-installs team on 0800 052 1734 8AM- 9PM Monday - Friday or 8AM-6PM Saturday and Sunday, and explain the problem.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks