cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

M600 - speed query

nashbeach
Dialled in

Is the Broadband package I am on, my ethernet speed is slower than my wifi speed on my phone, on test today wired Ethernet speed was 265.92 Mb/s on my laptop and phone wifi speed 275 Mb/s.

Should my ethernet speed be higher and should my Hub be outputting a higher speed than it is and the speed readings have been around these readings since I was boosted from M500 quite a while ago ?

My Hub is connected via Ethernet to a V6 box and a seperate WIFI router so does this affect speed as it's shared ?

[MOD EDIT: Subject title changed for clarity]

56 REPLIES 56

@nashbeach wrote:

I put it in modem mode only but my TP wifi router couldn't connect and I couldn't get even a ethernet connection from the Virgin hub so I have put the Virgin hub back to wifi mode and it's connected everything back up again, if the Virgin hub is in modem mode only does it put out a faster ethernet speed if it works as it may be worth me having another go ?

When you put the HUB in modem mode you have to turn it off, then connect the TP wifi router ONLY (No other wired devices) using the blue ethernet port and any of the HUB ports.

Turn on the TP, wait for it to fully power on, then turn on the HUB.

All your other wired devices should be connected to the TP router.

Kain_W
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi nashbeach,

Thanks for your post and welcome back to the community!

So sorry for any issues caused during this time, from checking our service I can't currently see any readings that would relate to the problem faced. 

How is your service now? Also were you able to correctly set the modem mode up?

Thanks,

Kain

Not had time yet to retry, so if I put the Hub in modem only will it put out a faster wired connection to a seperate router than if it is dual mode ?

Hi Nashbeach, thank you for coming back to us. 

Have you been able to try in modem mode now? 

If you have the hub in modem mode the WIFI will not be not be fighting against another network. (If you have two networks putting out WIFI next to each other you will see interference). 

All the best. 

Molly

I set it in modem mode, I still get faster result on speedtest with wifi than I do with an ethernet connection from the TP link router !
Also since changing it to modem mode only I can no longer see my second TIVO box on the other TIVO box !

So I will put it back back the Hub to Modem and wifi mode as it made no improvement at all in just modem mode

Hi @nashbeach, if you haven't already, is it possible to disconnect the third party router and place our router into modem mode, to then run a speed test with a Cat 6 Ethernet cable, on our equipment?

Kindest regards,

David_Bn 

I will try when convienient

Just tested again on Cat 6 Ethernet and got a speed average of around 230 mbps in modem only mode, the Cat 6 Ethernet was the only Ethernet cable plugged into the Hub 3, when switched back to modem/wifi and connected TP router too got wifi speed of 260 mbps.

I am finding this very strange as I thought ethernet speeds would be quicker ?

Hi nashbeach, 

Thanks for coming back to us on this and for trying our the speed test via a wired connection. 

More often than not, an ethernet cable will give better speeds. Where the WiFi network is pretty perfect though you could end up with the same speeds. It can also depend on the device you're using to test the speed. 

I've had  look at things our side to see what is what and all is looking spot on. The power and signal levels on the hub are optimal and there is no fault affecting you in the area. I've checked the network segment you're on and this is also pretty perfect. 

I can see the hub is operating in normal mode now and no longer in Modem mode. This can cause some interference if you do have a third party router plugged in too. 

I've had a look over your previous posts and I can't see what device you're testing the wired connection on. Do you have another device you can check? If not, try putting the device in safe mode with networking. Put the Hub in modem mode and reboot it. Connect it to the device and run the speed test again. 

Keep us posted on what your results are. 

Thanks, 

Kath_F
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs