cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I disabled WiFi but it keeps being re-enabled automatically!

newvmuser2011
Tuning in

Every time I manually disable Wifi 2.4ghz and 5ghz in the settings, after several minutes, it is re-enabled! I want this to stop.

I have read through previous forum threads and noted many customers had this problem. Is there a permanent fix for this other than replacing tthe router with a non VM box?

Thanks

9 REPLIES 9

Matthew_ML
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hey newvmuser2011, thank you for reaching out and I am sorry you are having some connection issues.

Have you put your router in modem mode at all?

If not I would do this and this would stop this issue from happening.

For example if you are disabling the 2.4 and 5Ghz without putting the router into modem mode the router wouldn't broadcast any WIFI signal and this would confused the router.

The router would then turn these settings on automatically.

Are you using any 3rd party equipment at all? Thanks 

Matt - Forum Team

New around here?

Hi and thanks for your reply. I am currently not using a third party router but I do work near the router and prefer to switch wifi off when I'm sitting near the box. It really should stay off until I have manually reactivated it. 5ghz is permanently deactivated but 2.4 is on when I like it to be. Is it a bug in the software?

VM might as well remove the option to disable wifi in router mode
---------------------------------------------------------------

Tudor
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

What is the rationale for turning it off?

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2

Staying healthy

Tudor
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Will not make an iota of difference. 

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2

Use modem mode
---------------------------------------------------------------

Better not to comment about things you do not understand

AndyInMancheste
Dialled in

Is this still the case?

I don't want WiFi on because I do not use Wifi.  I use cables.  I don't care who thinks I should want it, or thinks I shouldn't care that it's on even though I never use it.  I don't want it on.  Can I disable it and keep it disabled on a Hub 3.0, without being reduced to modem mode, or not?

There's always someone who wants to answer a question with another question.  No one wants that.  There's sometimes someone, like jhuk here, who ridicules people for asking the question.  That's rude, and that makes you the idiot for doing it.