cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

M600 - speed query

nashbeach
Dialled in

Is the Broadband package I am on, my ethernet speed is slower than my wifi speed on my phone, on test today wired Ethernet speed was 265.92 Mb/s on my laptop and phone wifi speed 275 Mb/s.

Should my ethernet speed be higher and should my Hub be outputting a higher speed than it is and the speed readings have been around these readings since I was boosted from M500 quite a while ago ?

My Hub is connected via Ethernet to a V6 box and a seperate WIFI router so does this affect speed as it's shared ?

[MOD EDIT: Subject title changed for clarity]

56 REPLIES 56

To be honest I have tried the things the the Virgin team recommended and none have made a difference to the speed, I have tested it on 3 laptops on ethernet and 3 laptops and two android phones to test wifi, what did change was the ability of my two Tivo boxes to "see" each other each time I tried something I had to set them up again to view each others recordings which seems to take ages to set up each time of which I do not wish to do anymore, I have to accept that I cant even get even near half the speed I am supposed to be getting, in fact I just get a third of the speed.

Hi nashbeach,

Thank you for reaching back out to us, sorry to hear all you have been advised to try hasn't worked, I was able to locate you with the details we have for you and it looks like your devices are using your 3rd party Router however ours isn't in Modem mode, this may be part of your issue as you have 2 devices trying to do the same thing, please put ours in Modem mode then see if there are any improvements, you can find out more around doing this here.

If you need any further help with this or anything else, please reach back out and we will be happy to help further.

Regards

Paul.

Paul, have you read any of my previous posts on this thread ?

Any ?

Thanks for coming back to us @nashbeach.

I have looked further into this and cannot see any issues with your connection that would be causing these issues, we may need to send a technician out to replace your hub to see if that is the cause of the issue. Would you like me to arrange that for you today?

Regards,

Steven_L

I think an engineer visit would be a good idea to check the hub

Hi @nashbeach

I can look to book you an engineer if you like. Please join me on private message so I can locate the account and book you the earliest appointment available. You can see your private messages at the top of the page in the envelope icon. 

Here to help 🙂
Virgin Media Forums Agent
Carley

Carley_S
Forum Team
Forum Team

Thanks so much for your private message and confirming your address @nashbeach, I have now booked you a visit for your speed issue – you can check the date and time via your online account here. If you have any issues with accessing your online account or unable to see your visit, please do let us know and we’ll pop you a message to confirm.

There will be no charge for this visit unless:
•    The technician diagnoses the faults as not being caused by our network/equipment 
•    The technician discovers that the fault or problem relates to your equipment
•    The technician discovers that the fault or problem relates to any system that we are not responsible for

The technician will confirm during their visit if any of these instances apply, and if so, a £25 charge will be applied to your account.

Please ensure there is someone over the age of 18 present at the time of the visit. If you need to change or cancel your appointment you can do this online or via the MyVM app by 4pm the day before the appointment.

If you do miss an agreed appointment for any reason, a £25 missed appointment charge will be applied to your account on the day of the appointment.

Here to help 🙂
Virgin Media Forums Agent
Carley

Hi

Thanks for booking appointment but can you move it to at least 7 days later as all that live with me and I have tested positive for covid in the last 48 hours !

I dont wish to infect any of your employees, it's only Broadband !

Ryan_N
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Thank you for letting us know - we appreciate it. 

I can see you've been able to already re-schedule this with the team 🙂 

Cheers, 

Ryan. 

I must say I am disappointed today, we had a text on 21/04/22 saying an engineer is visiting us on 30/04/22, on that text it states if we miss the visit we will be charged £25, on phoning Virgin today it states the visit is now booked for 1 week later, we have had no text to confirm this, I do not believe I have cancelled todays appointment so will Virgin be paying me a £25 compensation fee for not turning up today ?