cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hub 3 - Complete failures multiple times a day. needs re-boot each time?

Ash_hub
Tuning in

Hi all.... hoping I can get some help here as have tried support live chat & WhatsApp several times in the past week with long waits and no resolution.

I have a Hub3 which is several years old - possibly over 5 but I can't remember exact details.

At multiple times of day, the connection is lost completely to both WiFi and cabled uses. As advised by live chat support, I carried out a hardware factory reset.

I have a 3rd party WiFi access point connected to power the mesh network around the house. Hub 3 WiFi was awful & couldn't power Ring camera & doorbell devices as too weak a signal. I can tell there is an issue as this lights up orange and any web browsing/TV streaming all stops at the same time eventually showing connection error messages.

On each occasion both the Virgin web site & live chat support confirmed Router was online but nothing working here unless hub3 was hard re-booted.

Have checked the hub3 logs and am getting the below which doesn't sound good in terms of timeouts etc. I don't understand the detail though but sounds similar to this ticket here: T3 timout & no ranging response errors. 

Screenshot 2023-12-23 at 17.45.04.png

After this, I also tried modem mode as previously I just had the wifi disabled for both bands. I wandered if this may have caused issues. After applying modem mode, the router re-booted but stayed with a solid red light and never came back online with any signal. I had to hardware reset to factory settings again to get the router back online. Our symptoms are very similar to this post: connection regularly dropping 

This complete failure happens multiple times a day and is getting very frustrating in terms of all the family at home for holidays. Please can anybody advise ASAP?

22 REPLIES 22

Hi @Ash_hub 

Welcome to the community forums 

Sorry to hear you're having issues with your service at this time. I have checked the systems at our side and cannot see any issues in the area and your specs all look great. 

If you have any third party equipment that might also be broadcasting or connected into your network, can you try disconnected this and try just using our equipment to see if the connection issues resolve/change at all? 

Here to help 🙂
Virgin Media Forums Agent
Carley

Thanks,

It seems to have been an intermittent service issue. No hardware has changed here but the drop-outs have just randomly stopped and we seem to have a stable service again without changing anything.

Glad that we have stability again but frustrating that when the issue was occurring virgin support were pretty useless. it took a lot of time waiting in queues etc to try and get in touch whilst the outages occurred and then the responses were that everything was fine and working..... it clearly wasn't until the Hub 3 was re-booted every time.

Now that the service is back, I don't suppose we will ever get to the bottom of it.

Thanks for the help on here though. The best responses have come from this channel.

Ash

Thanks for coming back to us Ash_hub and I'm glad that your issues have now been resolved. I will be sure to pass on the feedback that you have given about reporting issues to the team, while the issues are live. 

Kind Regards,

Steven_L

Seems I spoke too soon.....

Just had another full outage around 10 mins ago. Daughter was watching iPlayer so we were quick to note the outage and re-boot the hub3.

I have the line being monitored still as suggested previously by Tudor. See screen shot below where there was 100% packet loss during the outage.

Seem to be a few delayed latency spikes throughout the day causing minor packet loss as well.

Screenshot 2024-01-05 at 20.50.08.png

Another outage just now requiring Hub3 to be completely re-booted before anything would work. 100% packet loss was captured by the Broadband Quality monitor as per screen shot below:

Screenshot 2024-01-06 at 22.20.48.png

Further full outage again this evening. That's 3 every evening in the past 3 days. Can see 100% packet loss recorded again. Re-booted Hub3 and connection restored as per previous. See broadband Quality Monitor screen shot below:

Screenshot 2024-01-07 at 19.09.07.png

Hi Ash,

Thanks for reaching back out, sorry to se you had another couple of days with issues, how have things been since Sunday?

Regards

Paul.

Hi @Paul_DN

Thanks for coming back to me.

Unfortunately yes. As per below I had nearly 2 hours of 100% packet loss earlier today. See Broadband monitor report as per below with my IP Address redacted.

Screenshot 2024-01-10 at 21.57.30.png

Hi Paul,

Seems there was an additional outage around 9am yesterday as well. See below:

Screenshot 2024-01-10 at 22.05.24.png

Seems to be getting beyond a joke now.... another small outage last night and then over 4 hours of 100% packet loss this afternoon as per below. How much longer do I have to keep posting these screen shots of connection monitors before action is taken? Should I just cancel the direct debit until I get the service i'm being charged for? 

What do I have to do to get Virgin to engage and investigate? Feels like the Post Office drama on a smaller scale in terms of being Gas lit that there is nothing wrong etc....

Screenshot 2024-01-12 at 21.15.28.png