cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My VM experience so far as a new customer

VM420
Joining in

Hi everyone. Yes, this is a long post, if you don't like it then please do not read any further.

We are new to VM and signed up due to being out of contract with BT. VM has recently installed new fibre cables in our area with the UK-wide expansion rollout. After some marketing, we thought we would give VM the benefit of the doubt.

We found the excavation work with heavy machinery to be very noisy and quite disruptive, and the work time did go over schedule by a week or two, even though heavy machinery was used. We understand this was due to the contractors, and there were at least two of them doing this work in the streets in the surrounding area. This was surprising because when BT installed full fibre a few years prior, we didn't have disruption or loud noise because it was all done manually by Open Reach, and they did a great job regardless of not using heavy machinery. Something interesting that we observed is that the VM contractors were supervised by the local council throughout their work, while Open Reach was not. I think the contractors that VM uses may have a reputation, or it may be down to local area and conditions of the pavements needing to conform to a standard for safety, we notice loose paving until the work was fully complete but this was supposedly completed sections, just not exactly safe to walk on even though it was open for that at the time.

The most disruptive part was the amount of time and space they used having pavements up and cordoned off; the whole estate was disrupted by this, but the heavy machinery also meant a lot of vibration and shaking of buildings, which our pets didn't like at all. Plus when they finished or paused during stormy days the cordoned barriers simply blew over in the winds leaving wide open holes in the pavements exposed which was risky for anyone to fall or trip.

Fast forward to our actual customer experience. Was it worth it? We're still not sure. It's something we shouldn't have to work so hard for and explain so much to companies. WiFi range and signal are weak and always will be, due to construction materials used and room sizes, etc. This is why we need a WiFi mesh system and why BT allowed us to use three full-home WiFi discs. VM is no different with this in that they also only send them out on a per request basis and only one WiFi Pod at a time, this is an inconvenient hassle but wouldn't be a problem if customer service is prompt and easy to get hold of.

We didn't want to have to spend hundreds of pounds on a WiFi mesh system only for a newer and better-up-to-date system needing to be purchased in the near future, with networks constantly set to continue upgrading.

Currently, WiFi 7 mesh systems (capable of 10 Gig) cost around £1,000 to £1,500, and the WiFi 6 (usually up to 1 Gig or 2.5 Gig) systems cost around £300 to £700, but we don't need this just yet, and given that BT, VM, and many others are upgrading to 10 Gig within 5 years or less, so we are told. Then it seems like a waste of money to buy our own equipment only for it to be useless in a couple of years. So we always sign up with a WiFi guarantee package!

We signed up for the VM 1 Gigabit Package, and this was installed on May 1st. Now, one week in, we know for certain what we already knew and had already told the VM installation technician. We would absolutely need a WiFi pod and three or more for full coverage, no problem, he says. Just ask customer service, and they can send up to a maximum of 3.

We know our environment and our building; the walls are thick, solid, and block radio waves. We also have larger than average-sized rooms, a greater number of rooms, and a larger property. Unfortunately, no ISP ever takes this into consideration prior to signup, installation, or anything. Ideally we would have our own equipment but why when we signup to WiFi guarantee packages...

On May 1st, the installer told us that they would give us a WiFi pod if his meter test could show that the speeds were slow enough in some rooms. He ran the tests using his meter device, but he got good signal and speed results. I think the meter goes off the WiFi strength rating using signal by dB, not speed or signal strength range, etc., so does not take into account any volatility of that. So not real world values that only are exhibited through experience of using the actual device you will be using.

So we didn't pass the VM meter test and had to suffer this time due to that.Many devices don't even pickup the WiFi signal, it doesn't exist to them, this includes PS4 and mobile devices only one or two rooms away, some rooms we cannot reasonably install ethernet fibre to. It hasn't helped that this was over a bank holiday weekend either. We tried to request a WiFi pod the next day, May 2, but customer service told us to wait for at least 24 hours, well, it was only 23 hours so they were reluctant to help and refused. Oddly enough come May 7th WhatsApp staff can no longer help with this request, instead we are told we are an exclusive customer and we get to request this through a dedicated customer service channel over the phone, eh, no. Not what I could hardly call dedicated.

This may be understandable having to wait a full 24 hours, —not really—when you know your environment better than anyone else. I wasn't able to use the installer's meter for a device to access Internet after his visit, so it made no sense to test it using that method in the first place, it just seems like a sure fire way to say, no, we won't lend you a WiFi pod during the contract period, instead we will make you wait and hope you get tied into your contract. Why not just let the customer test it using the devices they actually use for the Internet? That makes much more sense.

We were then too busy until this evening, May 7th, to make further requests for a WiFi pod. It isn't possible to order a WiFi pod after running multiple speed tests in every room through the VM Connect app. Sometimes speed tests show zero (yes, 0 megabits per second) for download and almost always lower than 30mbps, which means we are eligible for the WiFi Max guarantee to get a WiFi Pod. Unfortunately, the installation technician's meter they use to test seems to have its own super strong antenna and boosters installed in it, so it's not an accurate and fair reading suitable for customers uses.

On the VM customer help pages, it states that it is possible to run speed tests, to use the VM connect app, and if speeds are low enough (under 30 mbps), you will be suggested a solution to order a WiFi pod. In reality, this doesn't happen at all. I advise no one at all to waste time even using the VM Connect app because it only shows you what you already know, and you probably have other software or common sense to have known what you already have actually experienced. Just don't get the false impression that it will help you order a WiFi pod or somehow put you through to an appropriate support team at customer service. In our experience it isn't possible.

The VM Connect app doesn't work as advertised then, and it doesn't recommend you order a WiFi pod, and it doesn't give you the option to request it from the app either. What use is it? Not much at all. I was then at least expecting that, after days of recording and saving speed test results, it would be helpful for customer service to have on hand. No! They don't use that information or access it. Instead, they get you to manually visit the Samknows speed test website and run it separately in rooms that have a weak signal and speed. Only then do they honour your request for a WiFi pod. So there really is next to little or no use with the VM Connect app, in my experience at least, but it may be handy for keeping a record for your own use. I don't know about you, though, but when I have reliable Internet and WiFi, I don't need to rely on that. In fact, I don't need to even think about it or constantly run speed tests. I just know, because everything runs smoothly and nothing buffers or drops out. When it works, it works!

My experience is that we are discouraged from being able to access any customer service in general, and it is made even more difficult to get in touch with VM customer service over the phone. The phone options don't even make sense. I am not reporting a fault, but the option they gave made no sense. It isn't a problem with broadband but WiFi. I cannot get through to customer service through any apparent options other than selecting that I want to cancel. So I asked two staff members at cm and they were consistent enough to tell me the same options but that doesn't work!

I had to wait over 40 minutes to get through to the appropriate department, and only after going through three different departments did I finally get to request a WiFi pod. Then I was told it could take 14 days for it to be delivered to me. Sorry, but I will cancel long before then. I can only risk giving this two more days before I put in a request for terminating service because I don't want to risk going past my 14-day cancellation period without having to pay the full 18-month contract.

If I don't receive a WiFi pod to try before the 12th or 13th, then I will be putting in a request to terminate the service, and I will go back with BT or onto the BT wholesale network with another ISP. 

The only reason I signed up with VM was to give them a try. I had actually signed up with TalkTalk because they gave me a good deal and were sending me out two WiFi mesh devices, the Amazon eero devices, without even needing to request them myself. VM had been marketing the area, and the first time I missed them, they knocked on the door again and gave me a deal to beat TalkTalk. They offered me £42 per month for the 1 Gig package, a free VM Stream Box, and no activation fees. They told me to ignore the contract that would be emailed to me because that was not accurate (but to agree to it anyway? hmm...) and would show a higher charge and activation fee, as well as a fee for the VM Stream Box. So I was reluctant about trusting this; I know how companies can be. But I also know my legal rights, and if they are not honest about this, then it is very serious and a misrepresentation. The problem with this is that the wrong charges are still showing on my account even after the service was installed and activated. I need to go to task with VM over this as well, but it has been such a hassle and experience that even being able to request these WiFi pods, this has taken my free time up. The website sends you around in circles, and it takes at least 40 minutes to get through to the right department over the phone and well over an hour to get it requested. This took me less than 15 minutes with BT, and they had a UK call centre throughout, which VM does not. 

So, I am not complaining; I just want to share my experience, and I want it to be a good one. We will see. I will update this thread.

When the contractors installed the fibre cable from the street into the garden and into the VM termination/junction box, they told me they would be placing the cable at a depth of a spade and that the cable would be protected by trunking. No trunking was used at all, and the deepest depth is 5 cm, and most of it is exposed cable. So any gardening tool, like a lawn mower or strimmer, will chop right through it. This is in stark contrast to how professionally our cable with BT was installed. They carefully dug a trench deep enough to not cause any problems and used trunking. I feel that VM is let down by their contractors as well as by their customer service. In this day and age, we should be able to request a WiFi pod online, and it should go off the VM Connect app speed test results. 

I don't want to have to, but we are seriously considering cancelling before we have to be tied down to an 18-month contract. Time is running out, and we won't waste any more time. We can't afford to let this go to waste and have a bad experience.

Hopefully, we will receive our first WiFi pod in the next day or two. If not, then after that, we will call VM again and see if they can send a local technician to deliver a WiFi pod device, (they carry them in their vans), and if they won't, then I think we will have to leave. We can't risk having bad WiFi when the WiFi Pods are part of the contract with WiFi Max. Otherwise, we would never have signed up with VM only to have a bad experience.

This is just our experience so far. Regardless of whether we stay with VM, I will have to start digging up the garden to better conceal the VM fibre cable. It shouldn't be this hard, it shouldn't be a hassle like this, and the experience should be better. Shame, because I do think VM has good potential and is being let down by their contractors with a lack of professional finishing touches and a poor customer service structure that should be easy to improve, which could only save the company money if improved to be more streamlined, hassle free, and stress free.

I will update my experience later, in a few days. Please feel free to share your experiences with VM in relation to this post.

1 REPLY 1

Martin_N
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi VM420,

Thank you for your post and welcome to the community. 

I'm very sorry to hear about the issues you've had prior and since joining us. 

This certainly isn't something we want for any of our customers. 

We are happy to take a look into this for you. 

I will private message you now to confirm your details. 

^Martin