cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Account softlock

Tony1yaknow
Tuning in

Hi, I am trying to change my email address for my user name and billing and I get the message 'unable to complete due to a financial account has a soft lock active '. How do I proceed and why the soft lock? 

Thank you 

26 REPLIES 26

Thanks for the reply @stephez on the forums. 

I am sorry to hear about the poor experience you've had with this.
I'm not going to relay the same information to you as it would be no benefit and a waste of your time as well if I were too.
However with the soft locks in place for 30 days and I can see you have raised a complaint as you have stated.

Let us know how the complaint resolution comes out and if you're happy with what the team advises.

Kind regards,
Ilyas.

Ilyas_Y
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

stephez
Joining in

More News.

I had put in a formal complaint.  I received a proforma letter in response and had called up saying this was not a solution and asked to escalate the complaint.  I was told a manager would call me within 48 hours.  After 10 days I had heard nothing so I called again.  The aim was to either get a manager to call me or get permission to take my complaint externally for independent adjudication.

I has a slightly confusing discussion on the phone with the representative.  She went off to consult with her manager.  When she came back she said she would arrange to have my roaming turned on within a few days in time for my next trip abroad.  However her computer would not let her fill in the form to do this as my roaming was already turned on.  I checked and this was the case (it was not the case earlier in the day).  I then discovered a private message sent a couple of hours earlier from Travi_M as follows;

“I've been advised that roaming has been activated for you now - please keep us updated with how you get on.”

Clearly this is a good outcome for me.  So what have I learnt.

The 35+ threads on this topic in this Community have many statements from Virgin like these.

“If your account has a Soft Lock on it, this sadly means we're unable to make any adjustments.”

“Thanks for coming back to me, this has been looked into this afternoon and unfortunately the team have advised that its not possible to turn on the roaming feature, you would only be able to activate the roaming function once the migration has gone ahead and the soft lock removed.”

“If there is a Soft Lock on the system, this sadly does mean we're unable to remove it for thirty days.”

“With a soft-lock being applied, we're unable to make any changes to the account, so we wouldn't be able to enable Roaming.”

These statements are just not true.  They can make changes, they just don’t want to.  There is a computer form Virgin can fill in to make it happen.

My advice to anyone who is prepared to take the time is to make a complete pain for yourself.  Keep posting pointing out they are not telling you the truth.  Keep calling them.  Put in a formal complaint.  Escalate it   Argue with them.  Waste as much of Virgin’s time as possible.  It will take time but eventually they will give in.

Companies that treat their customers like this eventually get their reward.  I have my eye on a competitor who has a better customer service rating and lower prices.  Moneysavingexpert is a good place to start.

Finally I have reported this general issue to the regulator Offcom via their Monitoring Form.

Steve

The 'soft lock' is still on my Virgin Mobile account despite successfully being moved over to O2.  I need to change my email address for the account, but the soft lock won't allow me to.

Hi Drumbeat 👋🏼.

Thank you for posting, welcoming you back onto the community forum 😊.

Sorry to see the soft lock is stopping you from doing something on your account. 

What is the soft lock preventing you from doing? If you can elaborate we will love to help.

Thank you.  

Ari - Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

Hi Arissa,

Thank you for responding to my post.

I need to change the Virgin Mobile account's email address.

Hi @Drumbeat 

Thanks for coming back to us. If the account has now migrated to O2, you'll need to contact them as it means your profile on our current mobile system will be ceasing.

You can do that here 👉 https://www.o2.co.uk/contactus

Best wishes.

John_GS
Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - How to pay my Virgin Media bill

OK John. Thank you for your help.