cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Landline Cabling Question

polik
On our wavelength

I have a question if I may, about my landline phone and the cabling.

Due to the price of the Virgin Media services I have, when my contract ends this year, I want to downgrade my services. One thing I want to do, is lose my landline, and then connect my phone to the router, so I can still use my landline phone and keep the number.

My question is, if I then plug in another filter into my router, can I connect a cable from it to the original deactivated landline socket. So that I can use my other landline phone upstairs, which I am hoping will work with the router?

Thanks in advance.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Beth_G
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi polik

Thank you for your post and for your question!

To clarify, once moving over to the Voice over Fibre connection, you would continue to be charged for your landline service. Despite adjustments we've made to the landline setup on your property, the underlying infrastructure and services that were previously necessary are still relevant and in use, which is why a line rental fee continues to apply.

However what we can do is arrange for an engineer to come and rewire the connections in the home if needed to ensure you have any extensions set up free of charge. 

We hope this answers any questions you may have, if not, please don't hesitate to ask further. We're happy to help.

Beth

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

6 REPLIES 6

Beth_G
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi polik

Thank you for your post and for your question!

To clarify, once moving over to the Voice over Fibre connection, you would continue to be charged for your landline service. Despite adjustments we've made to the landline setup on your property, the underlying infrastructure and services that were previously necessary are still relevant and in use, which is why a line rental fee continues to apply.

However what we can do is arrange for an engineer to come and rewire the connections in the home if needed to ensure you have any extensions set up free of charge. 

We hope this answers any questions you may have, if not, please don't hesitate to ask further. We're happy to help.

Beth

Client62
Legend

To consider ...

You could port the active phone line to a different provider, e.g. a VOIP provider and then configure a VOIP phone connected to a network socket of the Hub.  This will not result in a free phone service. Vonage etc also have a monthly fees.

Then you would have to deal with the question of removing telephone from your VM bundle, and the sales team are not noted for being at all helpful on this i.e. it may not lower your monthly fees to VM.

Note you can not use a non VM telephone service ( Vonage / Sipgate etc ) via the VM Hub TEL 1 or 2 RJ11 ports.  It is not possible for the customer to configure the two RJ11 analogue telephone ports for a different VOIP provider. A new VOIP phone or ATA would be needed for connection to a network socket on the VM Hub.

polik
On our wavelength

Thank you for the reply.

As I understand it, from what you have said, I cannot use the existing telephone wiring connected into the router?
As a separate wired telephone system within my house, connected to the router for my telephone service, with which I only pay Virgin Media for the telephony services?

Because I am thinking along the same lines of my current wired broadband service, as I have used my house wiring, to extend my wired broadband service. Which allows me to have a pass through adapter, connected to my router downstairs, and I then use another adapter upstairs. And another cable that connects to my computer, to give me the full broadband wired service.

Thanks for coming back to us Polik.

As I understand it, from what you have said, I cannot use the existing telephone wiring connected into the router? As a separate wired telephone system within my house, connected to the router for my telephone service, with which I only pay Virgin Media for the telephony services?

The existing wiring cannot be used to for your landline connection via the router. Nor can the existing wiring be used for separate phone system with Virgin Media or with any other provider. 

Kind Regards,

Steven_L

nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@polik wrote:

I have a question if I may, about my landline phone and the cabling.

Due to the price of the Virgin Media services I have, when my contract ends this year, I want to downgrade my services. One thing I want to do, is lose my landline, and then connect my phone to the router, so I can still use my landline phone and keep the number.

Erm! That’s not a downgrade. The telephone line through the hub still uses the existing telephone exchange at the other end, which is what you are paying to use. You are also paying for use of the number.  Cancelling your landline also loses you a lot of discount on your Broadband, so the Broadband price will increase.

My question is, if I then plug in another filter into my router, can I connect a cable from it to the original deactivated landline socket. So that I can use my other landline phone upstairs, which I am hoping will work with the router?

When the landline service is changed you can ask for the router to be connected to your old wiring so that existing extensions will work.

Thanks in advance.

VM 350BB 2xV6 & Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, ASDA/Tesco PAYG Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

polik
On our wavelength

Thank you all for the replies, it is much appreciated.