cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to port Virgin Media home phone number (VOIP) to new (VOIP) provider (+ cancelling services)?

AndyH07
Tuning in

Hello

After many years with Virgin Media I've decided to move to a new Fibre Broadband+VOIP provider. I've just completed the order with them and installation is due in a few weeks.

I'll be out of my VM contract period before installation takes place but I'd like to know when I should cancel my VM services? Do I have to wait for my new provider to contact VM to arrange porting my home phone number to them? If so, how long do I need to wait before cancelling?

Or can I cancel my VM now knowing that my new provider has my 30 day notice period to complete the port request? But does cancelling all my VM services harm the phone number porting process?

Unfortunately neither VM or my new provider make it very clear of the required sequence, timings and responsibilities involved in the transfer and cancellation so I'm hoping that someone on here can help.

TIA, Andy

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

If you port a number and then yes this is normal.

Porting pretty much closes and cancel the phone service.

When you say cancel your services are you looking to leave us all together?

If you want to discuss this by PM thats fine,  I can confirm this to you.

Please look out for it.

Matt - Forum Team

New around here?

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

12 REPLIES 12

Client62
Legend

The VM phone line must remain in service until the new Internet & VOIP provider processes your number port request.

Once the VM phone number has been ported, you can then start to cancel the rest of the VM services.

Do not cancel any of the VM services assuming the new provider will go live on time or will be able to process the telephone number porting in a 30 day period  To do other is an express way to loosing your phone number and ending up with no home phone + internet for an open ended period.

Kath_F
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi AndyH07, 

Thanks for taking the time to contact us via the Community. It's lovely having you on board with us in the Forums.

We're sorry to hear that you've decided to leave Virgin Media. There is a 30 day notice for cancellation so it's best to call the team on 150 / 0345 454 1111 so they can get this sorted for you. As you're wanting to port your number across, this will need to be initiated by your new provider. The team will fill in a form so once the export of the number is complete, they can then raise a disconnection for the 30 days after you've given your notice. 

By doing it this way, it means the telephone line remains active so the port can go through without a hitch. 

Let us know if you need any further help or support with this. 

Thanks, 

Kath_F
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

AndyH07
Tuning in

Thank you for your replies. I won't rush to cancel my VM contract just yet.

But my Telephone Number transfer journey continues to create issues. Apparently my new Broadband & phone provider (Vodafone via City Fibre) cannot work with Virgin Media to transfer my existing home phone number onto their system.

I don't know why this is but is there a workaround that will allow me to (eventually) keep the number? Can I transfer the number to another third party service and away from VM for safe keeping or will there be an issue with this too? Vodafone did say that a number can be transferred in from another source (like a VOIP provider) to replace their "new" number but this sounds like a lot of extra work.

Any other suggestions or guidance gratefully received.

TIA, Andy

PS. Reading another thread I was apparently wrong to call the VM phone line "VOIP" so sorry for that. I just thought that getting phone calls via the Hub automatically made them VOIP.

Zoie_P
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi @AndyH07,

Thank you for your reply, we are so sorry to hear you have been having issues with your number port. What is the problem have Vodafone explained what the issue is? If we understand what is going on we can see if there is any workaround or if we can help?
Thanks,
Zoie

Thanks for your questions Zoie. I've now asked on the Vodafone community forum what the Porting issues might be. Hoping there is a simple solution.

Thanks, Andy

AndyH07
Tuning in

I've just seen that I have been sent a new contract by Virgin Media with no phone line. I didn't request this change so could this be as a result of Vodafone requesting the number to be ported? If the port doesn't work will I lose my home number as I probably only have the line for 30days? Can I please ask VM to look at my account and confirm?

Thanks Andy

PS - No information from Vodafone yet.

This could be yes, both numbers need to be remain active for 14 working days.

We can't comment to see if the port has gone through  or not but we can see if the phone line has been been removed from the account if you wish?

Do let us know.

Matt - Forum Team

New around here?

Hi Matt, thanks for your reply.

I can see from my new “Service Change Receipt” that the phone service is no longer selected and my billing amount has changed. As I haven’t contacted Virgin Media to make this change I’m wondering who has the authority to cancel it without my input??

If this is just a “normal” part of the porting procedure then that is okay but I’m not currently reassured by Vodafone that they can port the number from Virgin Media.

I’d be more than happy to send a direct message to the VM team to see what they can tell me (as obviously I don’t want to share account details here).

Also, as my phone has been cancelled should I just cancel the rest of my services? The only reason to keep them all was for the overlap of the phone line with VF.

Many thanks, Andy

PS I will also be contacting Vodafone to see how their side is doing?

If you port a number and then yes this is normal.

Porting pretty much closes and cancel the phone service.

When you say cancel your services are you looking to leave us all together?

If you want to discuss this by PM thats fine,  I can confirm this to you.

Please look out for it.

Matt - Forum Team

New around here?