cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Constant "no number calls" since moving to IP Telephone from landline (Home) (Resolved)

Chris_Myers
Superfast

My area has recently been migrated from landline to IP telephony which seems to work well with one exception.  My received calls report 10-20 daily calls from "no number".  There is no call made (no ringing) and no message left, just a report that "no number" called and a time.  OFCOM state it should be addressed to the provider and the Telephone preference service state they can do nothing with marketing or computer generated calls.  This did not happen until switched to IP telephony and has been daily since (coincidentally - I think not).  This appears to be a man-in-the-middle network attack and is therefore worrying (as well as filling my recent calls with rubbish).  Virgin media say they cannot see these calls, yet their system records it on my recent calls log. Anyone else having this problem or have a resolution?

[MOD EDIT: Please see post for an update ]

1,006 REPLIES 1,006

Some of the BT phones expect the date to be manually set but derive the time from the CLI info of an in bound call.

TAZMANUK
Knows their stuff

As a test I've now altered the time again on handset to 4:46pm from 5:46pm also I've changed the time format to 24 hours so showing 16:46pm date is also correct

We shall monitor and see when this alters by itself as these phone do not alter on their own unless their is a issue with your CLI information sending it to my handset resetting it

TAZMANUK
Knows their stuff
Spoiler

So of virgins CLI information is wrong they need to fix that along with the ghost calls, as I've just altered it back and I reckon next time we get a ghost call it will revert the phones time 1 hour in front again

Place a couple of calls to your landline number and see if the time moves.

This one may need a real call with a ring tone and caller id data.

TAZMANUK
Knows their stuff

Ok done what other user said and indeed when I made a call to the landline whilst looking at the handset it's altered the time to 1 hour in front so theirs an issue that you need to fix here as it's throwing the time off 1 hour in front.

So that needs looking into please as it will throw our answering off when we get messages telling us wrong time

Your CLI has issues

Thanks for this...

My BT 2500 Trio is also set an hour fast and I only reset it a couple of days ago when I took the back off to find the model number

Have just reset it again.. will check later after my next phantom caller.

superloopy
On our wavelength

I'd be interested in ditching my landline too in the circumstance but have no idea of how VOIP works or how to sett things up?

Yes my phone is the doing the same - the time is one hour ahead. I have tried adjusting the time, but it will not save it and was going to see what happens when the clocks go forward at the weekend. 

I also seem to be charging my phones more. 

I have the BT6600 Advanced Nuisance Call Blocker twin pack.

Re: time mismatch additional problems.

Just checked my call logs and some of the calls are showing '63:59' as an incoming time, must be anew one. Seems the VM offerring is well screwed and not fit for purpose. Who's going to be first to ask for compensation until this priblem is fixed as we are NOT getting an acceptable level of service!

I wonder if BT are aware of the problems affecting their range of telephones and whether any of the other  service providers have encountered similar ghost calls in their systems?

Has anyone made enquiries of friends/colleagues with alternative providers..... Indeed, I wonder if VM have made such enquiries???