cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Release of phone no to BT?

Carols9999
Joining in
My parents were previously customers of Nynex, taken over subsequently by Virgin Media.

They stopped using the Nynex service many years ago and moved to BT they have used that telephone number since then giving it to friends family and other organisations.

We have recently been moved over to the digital voice service at BT and had expected the number above to be retained as part of that transfer. This has not been the case and BT have assured me that they have tried on numerous occasions to place a re number order which they claim is being rejected by Virgin Media.

I don't understand the significance of the number, I don't see that there is anything special about it that would mean Virgin Media would want to retain it.

How can I request that Virgin Media (the range holder of this number) release it to BT so that they can restore the number for my elderly parents.

Any ideas / suggestions? 

3 REPLIES 3

nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

There are some issues cropping up with the move to digital voice. In the process of moving to fibre connections, BT & other providers are bypassing some smaller telephone exchanges. If the Virgin interconnect links to one of these exchanges there is no way of routing the incoming calls onto the BT network. There are several people I know that have had to change their number when moving to fibre services as the old number links to one of these exchanges.

VM 350BB 2xV6 & Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, ASDA/Tesco PAYG Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Thank you for your reply. 
How would I find out if that was the case - BT are saying that they have requested that the number be transferred over to them but Virgin Media have declined the request. 
I’d assumed it was a bit like when you change mobile phone providers - you request to port the number from one provider to another. Would that not be a solution? 

Hi there @Carols9999 

Thank you so much for your post and welcome to the community forums, it's great to have you back here. 

I am so sorry to hear that your parents have faced this issue with their landline, I'd be happy to take a closer look into this with you via a private message. 

I will pop you a PM across now, please keep an eye out for the envelope at the top of your screen alerting you to a new message.