cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Outlook email settings (SMTP)

JillMHayward
Tuning in

Hi,

I recently had to change my password and since then I haven't been able to connect using Outlook (this is the "normal" outlook and not the new one). 

Outlook requires setting up for IMAP with settings for outbound (SMTP) and inbound (IMAP).  i have entered these as per the guidelines and added the new password.  The emails come in but the sync with SMTP doesnt work and gives an error message saying it hasn't authenticated.

What can I do? 

Jill 

9 REPLIES 9

Graham_A
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@JillMHayward If you have changed your My Virgin Media password for the email address concerned then the new one won't work with third party email clients such as Outlook.  You either need to continue with the previous My VM password or create a generated app password for use with Outlook.  VM have recently changed the log in requirements for accessing VM Mail via third party apps.

If you change the password for the account in My Virgin Media > Account settings > Account details you will not be able to use the new password to access the account via an email client. Email client access now requires an app specific password which can be generated in the MyVM > Account Settings > Account details > Mailbox App password management

Each VM email address now potentially has two username/password combinations.  For My VM account and VM webmail the username is a third party email address together with the VM password.  For email client access the username is the full email address concerned with the generated app password or the previous My VM account password if an app password hasn't been generated.  The two username/password databases used by VM are no longer connected.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media, I'm a VM customer. There are no guarantees that my advice will work. Please read the FAQs
Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

coenoby
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@JillMHayward wrote:

What can I do? 

A few month ago Virgin Media introduced a new "mail app" password which you have to use in the email settings of email apps such as Outlook instead of the normal one you use to access your My Virgin Media and VM webmail account.

If you have not generated one for your VM email account  you’ll need to do that as follows:

Sign in to My Virgin Media using the non VM email address as the username if you have already set one.

Then

a. Go to Account settings, then Account details
b. Tap Manage next to Manage your Virgin Media Mail app password under Virgin Media Mail
c. Then, under Virgin Media Mail app password tap Generate new App password and follow the instructions

Once you have a new Mail app password you will need to update the password in your Outlook email settings with that new password.

Coenoby

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media.

JillMHayward
Tuning in

Thanks.  I understand what you are saying.

I dont think its particularly intuitive but there you go.

I have been into my account to do this but it wont let me.  When I enter another email which is the first step, it says there is an error and to check my mailbox.  I did this a couple of days ago and again today and I have no email to either my current virginmedia mailbox or my target new one. 

Any thoughts?

Hey JillMHayward,

Welcome back to the community and thanks for taking the time to post. I’m sorry to hear of the issues that you’re having with your email via Outlook. 

Have you been able to get your issues resolved with the help offered from coenoby and Graham_A or do you need any further help?

Kind Regards,

Steven_L

JillMHayward
Tuning in

Unfortunately, my issue is not resolved.  I think their advise makes sense but I am unable to change my email on my account to allow me to then generate a new app password. 

Thank you for the reply @JillMHayward 

I'm sorry to hear this happen. 😢
Are you able to show a screenshot of what happens when you try or the error code?

Avoid posting any personal information.

Kind regards,
Ilyas.

Ilyas_Y
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

JillMHayward
Tuning in

I have now spent an hour with the VirginMedia support team and they have managed to move things on.  I now have a new email added to my virginmedia account and have generated an application password.   My outlook emails on my laptop are now working using this new app password.

However, I am unable to access emails on my mobile phone.  I am using outlook on my mobile phone but it isn't authenticating with the new password.

Graham_A
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@JillMHayward With the Outlook app on a mobile device it is usually necessary to delete the email account from the app and then re add it using the new password.  Have you tried that?

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media, I'm a VM customer. There are no guarantees that my advice will work. Please read the FAQs

Hi JillMHayward,

Thank you for keeping us updated. Have you been able to try Graham_A's suggestion?

^Martin