cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

unable to send emails from emClient for ntlworld.com email account

appoman
Settling in

Hi

My emClient email package won't send emails, but will receive. My email address is an ntlworld.com one. I can login to the Virgin web email and send/receive ok.

I've tried changing the SMTP settings to some recommended online, but no change
The error log is below, any ideas welcomed !!

14:04:11 REMOVED@ntlworld.com SMTP Connecting: To REMOVED@ntlworld.com
14:04:11 REMOVED@ntlworld.com [SMTP] MailClient.Accounts.ConnectionException: Connection failed due to the following reason:
"Authentication failed because the remote party sent a TLS alert: 'HandshakeFailure'."
---> System.Security.Authentication.AuthenticationException: Authentication failed because the remote party sent a TLS alert: 'HandshakeFailure'.
---> System.ComponentModel.Win32Exception (0x80090326): The message received was unexpected or badly formatted.
--- End of inner exception stack trace ---
at System.Net.Security.SslStream.ForceAuthenticationAsync[TIOAdapter](TIOAdapter adapter, Boolean receiveFirst, Byte[] reAuthenticationData, Boolean isApm)
at System.Net.Security.SslStream.AuthenticateAsClient(SslClientAuthenticationOptions sslClientAuthenticationOptions)
at System.Net.Security.SslStream.AuthenticateAsClient(String targetHost, X509CertificateCollection clientCertificates, SslProtocols enabledSslProtocols, Boolean checkCertificateRevocation)
at System.Net.Security.SslStream.AuthenticateAsClient(String targetHost)
at MailClient.Protocols.Smtp.SmtpSendCommand.StartTls()
at MailClient.Protocols.Smtp.SmtpSendCommand.Connect(WorkerStatus status)
--- End of inner exception stack trace ---
at MailClient.Protocols.Smtp.SmtpSendCommand.Connect(WorkerStatus status)
at MailClient.Protocols.Smtp.SmtpSendCommand.Execute(WorkerStatus status)
at MailClient.Commands.Command.Process(WorkerStatus status)
--- End of stack trace from previous location ---
at MailClient.Reminders.ReminderManager.TimerSendLaterTrigger(Object sender, ElapsedEventArgs e)
EnqueuedStackTrace =
at MailClient.Protocols.Smtp.SmtpAccount.<>c__DisplayClass5_0.<SendAsync>b__0()
at MailClient.Protocols.Common.AccountBase.RunIfOnline(Action actionIfOnline, Action actionIfOffline)
at MailClient.Protocols.Smtp.SmtpAccount.SendAsync(IEnumerable`1 items, Action`1 sentItem, Action`1 completed, CancellationToken cancellationToken)
at MailClient.Accounts.BindingAccountBase.<>c__DisplayClass84_0.<SendAsync>b__1(ISendAccount`1 sendAccount)
at System.Linq.Enumerable.SelectListIterator`2.MoveNext()
at System.Threading.Tasks.Task.WhenAll(IEnumerable`1 tasks)
at MailClient.Accounts.BindingAccountBase.SendAsync(CancellationToken cancellationToken)
at MailClient.Accounts.AccountManager.SendInternalAsync(IAccount account, CancellationToken cancellationToken)
at MailClient.Accounts.AccountManager.SendAsync(IAccount account, CancellationToken cancellationToken)
at MailClient.Reminders.ReminderManager.<>c.<TimerSendLaterTrigger>b__80_1(IAccount a)
at System.Linq.Enumerable.SelectEnumerableIterator`2.MoveNext()
at System.Threading.Tasks.Task.WhenAll(IEnumerable`1 tasks)
at MailClient.Reminders.ReminderManager.TimerSendLaterTrigger(Object sender, ElapsedEventArgs e)
at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.AsyncMethodBuilderCore.Start[TStateMachine](TStateMachine& stateMachine)
at System.Timers.Timer.MyTimerCallback(Object state)
at System.Threading.TimerQueueTimer.<>c.<.cctor>b__27_0(Object state)
at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.RunInternal(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state)
at System.Threading.TimerQueueTimer.CallCallback(Boolean isThreadPool)
at System.Threading.TimerQueueTimer.Fire(Boolean isThreadPool)
at System.Threading.TimerQueue.FireNextTimers()
at System.Threading.TimerQueue.AppDomainTimerCallback(Int32 id)
at System.Threading.UnmanagedThreadPoolWorkItem.ExecuteUnmanagedThreadPoolWorkItem(IntPtr callback, IntPtr state)
at System.Threading.UnmanagedThreadPoolWorkItem.System.Threading.IThreadPoolWorkItem.Execute()
at System.Threading.ThreadPoolWorkQueue.Dispatch()
at System.Threading.PortableThreadPool.WorkerThread.WorkerThreadStart()
at System.Threading.Thread.StartCallback()
GUIStatus_Exception_Reported = True

[MOD EDIT: Personal and private information has been removed from this post. Please do not post personal or private information in your public posts. Please review the Forum Guidelines]

7 REPLIES 7

omeron
On our wavelength

I am also experiencing issues sending email from my ntlworld account on my android phone. This the second time now this has happened, sent mail just stays in the outbox unsent. Last time it was eventually sent hours later. Outbox now just says "problem synching", suggesting server issues.

Graham_A
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@omeron It's odd that you are experiencing this issue on an android device.  What email client are you using?

The current issue only appears to affect email clients that are not able to use the latest TLS security version.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media, I'm a VM customer. There are no guarantees that my advice will work. Please read the FAQs
Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

@Graham_A wrote:

The current issue only appears to affect email clients that are not able to use the latest TLS security version.

Depends on what you mean by latest TLS, version 1.0 and 1.1 have reached end of life, while 1.2 is still active and as far as I can see has no current EoL date and 1.3 is the newest set. Both 1.2 and 1.3 are the current TLS standards, as long as you OS supports TLS 1.2 (whether native or via update) your email client should work with TLS 1.2. as the email client looks to the windows web service component for its internet and security setting's.

The question is what version is VM email using?

omeron
On our wavelength

Just using the google mail, smtp.virginmedia.com port 465, SSL/TLS security. 
Yesterday I followed a tip to try and send stuck mail by going off WiFi and use 4G and weirdly as soon as I switched off WiFi those emails disappeared out of my outbox. Could be coincidence but I found that tip on this forum as well... 

Carley_S
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi @appoman 

Welcome to the community forums 

Sorry to hear you're having issues with your emails when connecting to your home network. 
We are aware of this issue and it has been raised at our side for investigation. I have passed on the details you've provided in hopes we'll know more about this soon and get it resolved as soon as possible. 
My apologies for any inconvenience caused at this time. Let us know if anything changes with your  work around to use mobile data to complete your email actions.

Here to help 🙂
Virgin Media Forums Agent
Carley

omeron
On our wavelength

Not much has changed, today I'm on the work guest network, trying to send a picture from my android phone to my work email and there it sits waiting "unsent" and "queued" in the outbox. Switching to 4G doesn't send it either. 
I then switch from my ntlworld account to gmail account on my phone, send the same picture and it arrives within seconds. Gmail 1 - Virgin 0

Joseph_B
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hey @omeron,

Thanks for getting back to us, with this we would like to have a look further into this with you a bit more, for me to do so I will need to send you a private message.

Joe