cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Speed and Modem

Telbert
On our wavelength

Hey VM team,

Please can someone send some more juice down my line? I've never ever acheived over a 1000mb, my average is 940mb, this is when hard wired in 🙂

Also am I eligible for the latest modem pretty please

Love to all 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

The HUB 4 has Gigabit ports only so yes, makes sense what you are seeing.

Do you have a device with a 2.5Gbps Ethernet port?

The link above shows both the speed to your device, and the speed directly to the HUB over the VM network, so no limitations of Ethernet or WiFi. Note the link only works in router mode.

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

6 REPLIES 6

carl_pearce
Community elder

@Telbert wrote:

Hey VM team,

Please can someone send some more juice down my line? I've never ever acheived over a 1000mb, my average is 940mb, this is when hard wired in 🙂

Also am I eligible for the latest modem pretty please

Love to all 

Gigabit Ethernet ports are capable of a maximum of 940Mbps.

So, unless you are using a device with a 2.5Gbps Ethernet port, and the 2.5Gbps Ethernet port on a HUB 5, or a WiFi-6 device connected to a HUB 5 in very close vicinity, you won't see more than 940Mbps on one device.

What does this site show?

https://samknows.com/realspeed/

Makes sense, I have a hub 4 currently which I believe doesnt support the 2.5Gbps? Maybe I can convince them to update me to a hub 5.

I'll check through that link when I get home, but what ever I use I've never got over 950

The HUB 4 has Gigabit ports only so yes, makes sense what you are seeing.

Do you have a device with a 2.5Gbps Ethernet port?

The link above shows both the speed to your device, and the speed directly to the HUB over the VM network, so no limitations of Ethernet or WiFi. Note the link only works in router mode.

I think my Netgear Orbi AX6000 router systym has a 2.5gig port on it, so I presume(may be wrong) that it will then take the full 1100Mbps rather than the 940ish i've been getting?

Yes it does, and yes it will. Having said that there is only one 2.5Gbps port, for WAN, so your wired devices will still be limited to 940Mbps on the remaining Gigabit ports. You'd need a thirdy party router with at least two 2.5Gbps ports to see full speed to one device (You'll get full bandwidth across two or more devices at the same time, though).

From what I've experienced it's more like 1150Mbps.

Client62
Legend

You also need a device with a 2.5 to 10Gbps port & the cojones to consume data at much faster than 1Gb/s.