cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Just Upgrade to M500 via Moving Phone to O2. Got VM

walsh2509
Tuning in

Just Upgrade to M500 via Moving Phone to O2. Got VM email saying Enjoy your M500 bb.

I got the new modem this afternoon, set it up and ran a few speed tests. I have always use Speedtest.net and usually very accurate with my 200/250mb bb with speed of 250-260mb. I agreed the move last week with a retentions agent, he moved my VM phone package over to O2 and then was setting up my upgrade which according to the Ads for M200 it would go up the next step to M350, the agent said what I am going to do is move you up 2 steps to M500 for same monthly payment. So new sim for phone arrives the next day after the call and I set up my O2 account, the new modem I got today.  I set it up and as stated I got via Speed test just over 300mb, I also tested the speed with the VM broadband speed test page - I got 220mb, I got the same speed after closing down my PC and again after I rebooted the modem.  I signed into my VM account and on my Package page I had BB only , correct and it said I have the 250mb.  I know sometimes speeds can dip, but 500mb - 10% of that is 50mb as I am getting 200bm less that's 40% under what I should be getting. On the 250mb anytime I tested it I got 250 sometimes 260mb but never under ?   Would I be right in saying I have not been put up to 500mb as VM email stated, but only moved up the 1 step from M200 to M350 in line as advertised for Volt switch over my VM phone package ?

8 REPLIES 8

Client62
Legend

In the Hub's menu at http://192.168.0.1/  ( don't login ) scroll down and visit Check router status >>> Configuration and look for the Downstream >> Max Traffic Rate

If you see a figure around  286,000,000 that would be an M250 profile, an M500 profile would have a figure about double.

if the result is not what you expect, power cycle the Hub so it has a chance to pick up the latest speed profile for your account.  Recheck the Max Traffic Rate to see if it has been updated..

On front page Cable Modem Status 

ITEM - Acquired Downstream Channel(Hz) - Status 331000000 - Comments - LOCKED.

ITEM - Ranged Upstream Channel(Hz) - Status 49600000 Comments - Ranged.

ITEM - Provisioning State - Status Online - Comments - Operational. 

Traffic Rate has a figure of 575000085 bps = M500, now by all my Speed Checks with Speedtest.net  would be Download M350 but Upload 50mb , VM own speed test page  just now Download 227mb Upload 52.5mb and just did Speedtest.net - Download 329.92 Upload 50.56 >  Traffic Rate page say I should have 500mb down and 50mb up - but the VM speed test page and the Speedtest page I think that front page I would say 50mb Up has been allowed but I have been locked at 350mb down.

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Your traffic rate is set for 500Mb.  What does www.samknows.com/Realspeed show?

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Router Virgin Media Hub 5  Download 538Mbps

Device Desktop Download 222Mbps

I also went onto https://www.virginmedia.com/broadband/speed-test for the same Independent speed checker, powered by SamKnows. Gives you an accurate reading of your broadband speeds on any UK network.

And got this - Download 224 Mbps  / Upload 53.6 Mbps

Now these are 2 reading from same checker SamKnows, one from the webpage you provided and the other from the Virgin Media speed checker page using SamKnows.

This Router Status check I did , does that indicate that though I have 50mb Upload I am LOCKED at 350mb Download ???  ITEM - Acquired Downstream Channel(Hz) - Status 331000000 - Comments - LOCKED. And is that why the readings from SamKnows on both their own site and the VM site come out at 222Mbps - 224Mbps for Download. 

Thanks -- 

Hi @walsh2509 thanks for your post here in the Community although we're sorry to hear of the concerns you've raised here.

As it appears from the speed test you've recently conducted, it does show the download speeds at your Hub is on the M500 tariff, but it seems that your device may not be compatible with the higher speeds.

Are you able to try this via ethernet cable to a device rather than on WiFi?

Many thanks

Tom_W

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

ITEM - Acquired Downstream Channel(Hz) - Status 331000000 - Comments - LOCKED  <--  This is a frequency item, it has nothing to do with your speed. 

Primary Downstream Service Flow - Max Traffic Rate.  <-- This is the speed configuration on your Hub for Download.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Intel(R) I211 Gigabit Network Connection - Link Speed ( Receive / Transmit ) 1000/1000 (Mbps)

I have been connected via ethernet not Wifi 

I

Hi walsh2509,

I've just had a look at your power levels and they are very out of spec - this will likely be what's causing you the slow speeds.

I've popped you a private message so I can arrange for an engineer to come and take a look.

Thanks

Beth