cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

4 months delayed install and still waiting!!

john021004
Just joined

Please can someone help?????

I signed a contract and received an install date for the 18th Jan 2024, it was delayed and I another date March 5th, then April 17th, and then 7th May. Yesterday (1st May) I received email and text to say that the the install has been delayed until the 30th of May.   

When I signed the contract I was told that due to not already having virgin media in my home, that I needed a team to dig up the footpath outside my home to have a cable put through to my house.

I keep ringing the pre-installation team to ask why there is yet another delay, and all I get told is what I already know.....that there needs be a crew to put a cable under the footpath, or they will be with you tomorrow (they never have), we will call you back with more information (they don't call back).

Is the install a joke? I spoke to 2 individuals today and they both asked if I wanted to cancel. Is this because they know its not going to happen??

I really do not want to cancel, but I am loosing my patience!

John

3 REPLIES 3

jpeg1
Alessandro Volta

If you read through the forum you'll find this is a common story. VM hand off the outside work to a subcontractor and then leave them to get on with it. There is little you can do to speed it up.

Two pieces of advice. If you have an existing broadband connection do not cancel it until Virginmedia is in and working. Also keep records of all contacts with VM as you should be due for compensation for the delay. 

- jpeg1
My name is NOT Alessandro. That's just a tag Virginmedia sticks on some contributors. Please ignore it.

goslow
Alessandro Volta

See reply here ref cancelling

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/QuickStart-set-up-and/Virgin-broadband-delays-and-compensation/...

An alternative school of thought is to let the delays run and let the compensation stack up while you set about arranging connection with a different provider. If VM ever does install you can cancel in your 14 day cooling off period and use the connection at some point in the future. Doing that though would involve having to go through cancelling the VM account, returning equipment etc. etc. which would very likely bring with it further unhappiness of having to deal with VM's administrative processes.

Many topics on here report that getting the compensation from VM is a battle requiring a case with the ombudsman to get paid what is owed.

When an installation hits a long delay, the dates given out are simply rolling ones and the call handlers simply tell you they 'guarantee' the installation will be on the day you call but there is no basis for this, it is just the next rollover date on their screen.

From past topics on here, a common cause of a long delay seems to be when the cost of the job goes beyond the default install amount. In a marginal case, it seems the job is just bounced back and forward between VM and the sub-contractor until the extra cost is approved. It is not unknown on here for a customer to experience a long delay, only for VM to eventually give up and cancel the install on grounds of cost. Sometimes they don't even tell the customer this has happened.

Megan_L
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi John021004,

Thanks for posting on our Community Forums about your delayed installation, I am sorry this has caused so much frustration, I really do appreciate this is not an ideal situation 😥

There are a multitude of reasons why an installation is delayed, I will invite you into a Private Message after this post so I can go through the current circumstance with you, however it must be said that many reasons for delay are out of our hands. I can create an Installation Complaint for you if you do not have one raised already.

The question of compensation is understandably important, I have a link to our Compensation Scheme if you'd like to take a look. If you have any concerns or questions I'll be happy to help as much as I can. 

I'll send over my Private Message now so we can get a better handle on your situation. 

Speak soon,

Megan