cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wake up to WiFi being off.

SAF22
Tuning in

Since Christmas I've had an issue with waking up to find none of my wireless devices working. According to the self help test on the support page it wants to reset my hub because it see an issue  which means I have to set up my WiFi +Guest WiFi every single time. Kinda annoying. The hub is out in the open and normal connected Ethernet is absolutely fine. This doesn't happen everyday but it does seem to be getting worse.

Any help appreciated 

15 REPLIES 15

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

See if a pinhole reset sorts it first

Do a Hub “pinhole reset” - first make sure the 2 passwords on the Hub sticker are still there and legible first ! With the Hub still "switched on" throughout, press the reset pin in firmly with paper clip/SIM tray tool or similar "thin thing" and hold it firmly for at least 60 (a timed sixty) seconds, release the pin, leave for 5’ to stabilise - dont manually switch it off at any time. Passwords and SSID’s will reset to those on the sticker so log in and change them back to what they were/want them to be.

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

I will give it a go.

Cheers.

How did it go SAF22, did everything go okay? 

Matt - Forum Team

New around here?

Okay, so I had to wait a few days as it's a random intermittent issue. I fully pin hole reset the hub and set it up again and it's been fine until some wee hour in the morning when it shut the WiFi off again ; I only know that because  my security camera sends my phone an offline notification. 

I switched it off and on at the wall for a minute and it's back to normal for now. 

Is there anyway of updating the firmware on these things?

Thanks

Hi SAF22

Thanks for letting us know. 

Do you know how long your Hub was down for? We usually roll out firmware updates very early in the morning e.g 00:00 - 02:00. So if you have only experienced one disconnection and it was around this time, it's likely to be your Hub updating.

Has this issue continued since Monday? Let us know if you've noticed any improvement or degradation.

Beth

Hi there, unfortunately nothing has changed. Every few days the WiFi both main and guest switch themselves off and thus my cctv and smart plugs. Kind off annoying. On this diagnostic page I get this message Looks like we need to reset the Hub (virginmedia.com)

As soon as I do the reset, it never properly finish it's cycle and I have to manually do it, which means setting up the hub again. 

Any help appropriated.

Hi SAF22, 

Thanks for coming back to us on this one. We're sorry to hear that the previous resets have not worked. 

Rather than making changes to the network, can you connect to the WiFi on the default settings for a few days? We need to see if the WiFi knocks off in the same way as after you've made changes. This will help us to diagnose the issue and we can then look at way to resolve things for you. 

Many thanks, 

Kath_F
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

Default settings? Can I ask you to expand on what you mean? I have only added devices to WiFi and not really changed anything except WiFi names and passwords

Hi SAF22, 

The default settings would be those written on the hub sticker. Please do the Pin hole reset on the hub to revert everything back to default and rather than changing the name/password, stick with the default to see if this changes the hub's behaviour. 

When performing the reset, please ensure you hold the pin hole reset button in for a timed 60 seconds to ensure it full resets. 

Let us know how things go and we can then help further. 

Thanks, 

Kath_F
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs