cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

TP Link Slow and Unusable speed

CF10
Tuning in

Hi

i have virgin fibre 250 and a power line adapter into my garden room using TP link Av1300. This was working fine until relatively recently, and i now get unusable speeds of less than 1MB. Can anyone advise a way of correcting this 

9 REPLIES 9

legacy1
Alessandro Volta

Test by wire without power line if fine buy new power line

---------------------------------------------------------------

Client62
Legend

Use the TP Link Utility to see if the Powerline extenders still have a good link rate over the mains.

Did the problems start around the time LED Xmas lights were draped around the house ?

jpeg1
Alessandro Volta

As Client62 said. Switching mode power supplies, especially cheap Chinese ones, inject noise into the mains. 

- jpeg1
My name is NOT Alessandro. That's just a tag Virginmedia sticks on some contributors. Please ignore it.

Hi - how do I use the TP Link Utility? 

Unfortunately not, the problems started around October time. A new neighbour moved in and I'm convinced something they've done in their garden room is messing with my connection but I may just be paranoid 🙂 

I've no idea what this means - is that in relation to the Xmas lights injecting noise into the mains. I don't know how to switch power supplies...I'm a noob

CF10
Tuning in

so I've got into TP Link Utility - trying to update the firmware but can't open the .bin file to extract the files on Mac 😞 

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

You may not need to extract the files.  On my TP link AP’s you just upload the file to the device.  

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Figured it out- was trying to install into the adapter rather than the extender, the extender had the BIN drive ready to upload directly whereas the other one didn't. Will see if that's had any effect tomorrow! Thanks for your help all.

Hi CF10, thanks for the message and welcome back to the forums. 

I am glad to hear that you have managed to get this resolved and do let us know if you need anything further. 

Kind regards, Chris.