cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hub5 stuck on flashing Green

NENorm
Joining in

Hub 5 been working as normal since install approx 6mths ago. This evening I noticed internet was down but WiFi was fine.

Logged into hub and did a reboot and since then it's been stuck on flashing green which is supposed to indicate hub updating. I have tried a couple of power cycles which gives the hub the slow white flash and powers up normal, then just goes back to green flashing. 

Light speed seems to steady fast flash, and if I'm honest it seems more a yellowish that a bright green but I may be missing interpreting. It's certainly not a bright green.

I cannot log into the hub anymore whilst it's stuck in this update loop, but the wifi does show up as connectable but without internet access.

I have booked a technician (I hope, haven't had confirmation through on email yet) but it's not until Wednesday evening. 

Can anyone advise if a pinhole reset somehow rolls back the update, or am I stuck until a technician comes?

7 REPLIES 7

NENorm
Joining in

Incidentally, to add, service status indicates no current faults in area.

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

A pinhole reset will reset the firmware back to factory.  However the Hub will update to the latest firmware in due course. You need to do a full 60 second press and do not reboot the Hub manually. Just leave the Hub to reboot itself, this may take a while and may reboot more than once. 

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Thankyou for the reply.

If as you suggest the pinhole resets sets the hub back to factory, I wonder if that is worth a go. Like you say it will try and update itself again no doubt, but if the hub has kind of crashed mid update, maybe this will get clear it and force a reinstall.

Or have I misunderstood and your advising that the hub is simply maybe doing a load of updates and leave it behind?

Thanks.again

I assume I will lose my WiFi settings. I haven't really changed much other than disable the auto switching and set a separate name for the 2ghz WiFi as I have a few devices that need to use that. 

Update... Following a pinhole reset, my hub is still stuck in a green flashing cycle, however I can now connect to the WiFi and log into it. 

Broadband status shows as red with the error message "partial service (US Only)", and when I log into the settings and check network status there are error messages galore and no downstream channels. Looks like the hub simply won't connect.

Problems seemed to co-incide with a local storm and despite the service status site saying no local issues, I suspect it's more a network issue than a hardware issue.

Technician booked for wed evening and managed to screenshot confirmation, which is a good job as my virgin media account shows no record of the booking. 

Kids (and parents) currently wondering what this new life without internet will be like for 3 days. 🤣

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Yes, sounds like the VM network is absent without leave !

Maybe a few days in the play park feeding ducks will be a change from 'tinternet ......  😉

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

NENorm
Joining in

Further update. Virgin Media this morning identified a problem in the local area and decided to cancel my technician visit. They sent me texts advising it had been cancelled and then they text me a couple hours ago to say all fixed, reboot and your good to go. 

Surprise surprise the issue is not fixed, and I have now had to book another technician visit so I have ended up a day behind. Called and spoke to someone but he was sadly no help although he did advise the issue has been referred to a tier 2 engineer whatever that means.

Either way I am stuck now without internet for a few more days and my smart home is no longer smart! 🤣

Incidentally the hub had a blue light when I returned home from being out all day, but after the reboot it is back to flashing green and simply can't connect. Something along the line is fubarred.

The wait continues....

newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Just an additional bit of info for future reference.

When you use the online  /check-services/i  function it mainly only shows known wide spread problems.

If nothing is showing  you should also try the automated Service Status number  0800 561 0061.  This often gives details of more local issues down to postcode level.

In fact it may have been updated today to show further issues local to yourself which would again mean any arranged tech visits would be automatically cancelled by VM's internal systems.

Dave
I don't work for Virgin Media.
I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge.
Problem solved? Click to mark as a Helpful Answer, or use Kudos to say thanks
The do's and don'ts.
Keep the community welcoming for all. Please read the FAQ's
The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali