cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

what backup for emergency in power cut? Landline and mobile both go down.

galpat
On our wavelength

When Virgin switched landline to being over the internet through the router, they said the safefy backup was over the mobile network.  Ever since that happened, every time there has been a power cut not only all the electricity and the landline goes down, but the mobile phone networks go down too.  I am nearly 80, and feel completely isolated when this happens.  I read somewhere that phone providers are supposed to provide UPS (uninterruptible power supply) for elderly and vulnerable.  Does anybody know how one finds out about this?

15 REPLIES 15

nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@galpat wrote:

...which is totally useless, because every time we have a power cut the mobile networks go down too.

It is no good blaming one operator for this, as all operators are moving away from the ageing PSTN technology which is expensive to run & less a quarter of residential homes now use. What is required is UPS backups on the street cabinets, which many residents moan about (due to the size of them & the noise they make). If you then have backup power ( a UPS or battery with an inverter) you can still use the phone as normal. When the BT exchanges close down 3/4 of the phones in the UK will rely on mains power anyway, as Virgin (& most other operators) rely on BT exchange interconnects to route calls.

VM 350BB 2xV6 & Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, ASDA/Tesco PAYG Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Roger_Gooner
Alessandro Volta

VM's powered cabinets have backup power, but in extreme circumstances will not remain powered for long periods. In practice most blackouts last for only a short amount of time. Some people may have a problem if their mobile network goes down as well.

--
Hub 5, TP-Link TL-SG108S 8-port gigabit switch, 360
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM hub 5 broadband connection

Client62
Legend

Mobile network fails during a power cut.  Really ?  That is not usual for GSM towers.

Is this a case of a mobile subscription that has no coverage at home and is working on Wi-Fi calling when the mains power and VM internet are available ?

goslow
Alessandro Volta

A topic on the BT forum linked to this OFCOM 'Connected Nations' document

https://www.ofcom.org.uk/__data/assets/pdf_file/0023/186413/Connected-Nations-2019-UK-final.pdf

where power supplies to telecoms equipment are described from page 42 onwards

While a customer should be able to make a 999 call via mobile in a power cut, the amount of power backup for mobile masts is surprisingly small IMO

Later 'Connected Nations' documents

https://www.ofcom.org.uk/research-and-data/multi-sector-research/infrastructure-research

detail the problems encountered following the previous recent winter storms in the north where power was lost for many days.

galpat
On our wavelength

There have been two power cuts in St Albans in recent months.  Both times mobile phones on the mobile networks indicated no coverage and the mobile phones were unusable.

There have been two power cuts in St Albans in recent months.  Both times mobile phones on the mobile networks indicated no coverage and the mobile phones were unusable, as, of course, was the internet and the landline.