cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

what backup for emergency in power cut? Landline and mobile both go down.

galpat
On our wavelength

When Virgin switched landline to being over the internet through the router, they said the safefy backup was over the mobile network.  Ever since that happened, every time there has been a power cut not only all the electricity and the landline goes down, but the mobile phone networks go down too.  I am nearly 80, and feel completely isolated when this happens.  I read somewhere that phone providers are supposed to provide UPS (uninterruptible power supply) for elderly and vulnerable.  Does anybody know how one finds out about this?

15 REPLIES 15

Roger_Gooner
Alessandro Volta

You are probably entitled to the free installation of the emergency backup line (EBUL). It's landline which is connected to the hub and to a power supply to keep the batteries charged. You use the phone as usual but in a power or network outage the phone can make calls by using O2 (and possibly by the other three mobile networks - but don't quote me on that).

Here's information on the EBUL on pages 36-40.

https://store.virginmedia.com/content/dam/eSales/Downloads/Phone%20User%20Guide.pdf 

--
Hub 5, TP-Link TL-SG108S 8-port gigabit switch, 360
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM hub 5 broadband connection

jb66
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

During a power cut you can dial 999 or 112 from your mobile and it will use any network not just your own provider

Tudor
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

"During a power cut you can dial 999 or 112 from your mobile and it will use any network not just your own provider"
or if you have that latest Apple iPhone even when all other services are down you can use a satellite connection to call the emergency services.

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2

Anonymous
Not applicable

It is imperative that vulnerable people have 24 hour access to emergancy services. How many people are going to be pushed into a  "TV Internet Phone Bundle/Package"  without a landline that just works, maybe we/us/them do not require 999 but we do need to call a relative for help.  The question is what is the actual procedure/measure put in place here for galpat, myself or anyone else?

Roger_Gooner
Alessandro Volta

The latest EBUL V3 will call any number.

As for 24-hour access to emergency services: that's never been available to all with a landline, mine has gone down on multiple occasions and I can tell you that my broadband is far more reliable.

--
Hub 5, TP-Link TL-SG108S 8-port gigabit switch, 360
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM hub 5 broadband connection

Ilyas_Y
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hey there @galpat, thanks for reaching out to us on the Virgin Media forums. 👋🏼

I'm sorry to hear about the issues with the landline going down during an outage and for the safety concerns you have.
You will most likely need an e-BUL which is an emergency back up line.
I will send a private message so we can get this added on for you.

Kind regards,
Ilyas.

Ilyas_Y
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

Client62
Legend

I've lost count of the number of grumbles from the children of older parents that the "via Hub/Router" phone systems are not always during a power cut, only to discover our resident has for years had a cordless phone system and / or careline that is also 100% dependent on mains power.

Older folks lived for decades without telephones at home, they are often not the 100% connected addict.

goslow
Alessandro Volta

@Anonymous wrote:

It is imperative that vulnerable people have 24 hour access to emergancy services. How many people are going to be pushed into a  "TV Internet Phone Bundle/Package"  without a landline that just works, maybe we/us/them do not require 999 but we do need to call a relative for help.  The question is what is the actual procedure/measure put in place here for galpat, myself or anyone else?

The measure offered is the EBUL listed above. The last time I checked, the minimum OFCOM requirement was providers had to offer a device capable of contacting emergency services for a period of up to an hour. Suppliers have generally worked their way down to this minimum in terms of what is offered. I think BT does offer a battery backup too in some circumstances.

Whether or not any of the mobile connection options work in an emergency may well depend on a whole bunch of other things extending beyond the home including local mobile infrastructure, availability of backup power on the mobile network, the scale/size of the power cut etc.

...which is totally useless, because every time we have a power cut the mobile networks go down too.