cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

fibrephone

bazelli53
Tuning in

Since the changeover to fibrephone I have lost my ringtone  for incoming calls. I am able to make outgoing calls OK but have not received any incoming , or rather I have but have been unaware of them!  Any advice and help would be appreciated.

Also, is the green phone icon on the hub supposed to stay on? Mine comes on when I've tried rebooting the system but goes off after a while

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

goslow
Alessandro Volta

Do you have any calls showing on your missed calls display (if you have one on the phone) to show calls coming in but without any ringing sound?

What is the make and model of the phone?

How old is the phone you are trying to connect?

Phones from the early 2000's, and before, may need an adapter with a 'ringing capacitor' inside to generate the ringing sound.

AFAIK, the green phone icon is supposed to light up briefly when the hub boots up and then go out.

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

7 REPLIES 7

goslow
Alessandro Volta

Do you have any calls showing on your missed calls display (if you have one on the phone) to show calls coming in but without any ringing sound?

What is the make and model of the phone?

How old is the phone you are trying to connect?

Phones from the early 2000's, and before, may need an adapter with a 'ringing capacitor' inside to generate the ringing sound.

AFAIK, the green phone icon is supposed to light up briefly when the hub boots up and then go out.

nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Thread moved to the Home Phone forum, as the Chatter forums are not monitored by staff.

VM 350BB 2xV6 & Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, ASDA/Tesco PAYG Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Paulina_Z
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi @bazelli53,

Welcome back to our Community Forums! Thank you for your post and I'm sorry to hear that you're having some issues with your landline at the moment!

Have you tried calling your landline from a mobile phone to see if the call goes through? 

Please check that all the cable connections are correct and secure. Have you been able to follow @goslow's suggestions to see if this can help resolve your issue?

We would also advise you to reboot your Broadband Hub to see if this can clear any issues on your landline.

Let us know how you get on so that we can help.

Thanks! 

Paulina_Z
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

thanks for this answer. I don't have a missed call display on the phone. However I have called 'home' from my mobile  and my number shows up using the 1471 service 

As for the make and model.... who knows? It is an 'old' BT phone but was working quite adequately before the switch over

I have rebooted the system several times and checked the connections over the past few days all to no avail

where would I find and use this adapter ? 

thanks for your guidance. I have just responded to GoSlow.

I have rebooted several times and checked the connections are secure

Calling from my mobile registers  but still without an audible ringtone

goslow
Alessandro Volta

The phone name/model would normally be written on a sticker on the underside of the phone.

Some people on here have reported success with this

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/393200143905

It's a generic part so no need to buy this specific item. It is a 'RJ11 plug to BT socket adapter with ringing capacitor'

It would replace the adapter provided by VM

There is no guarantee at all that it will solve your non-ringing issue though. Some old phones simply don't work via the hub, even with the adapter, so keep this possibility in mind if you take a shot at buying one. If the adapter didn't work, it might be time for a new phone.

If you happen to have an old ADSL filter lying around in a drawer at home (the thing that had to be plugged into every phone socket in the early ADSL days of home internet) you could try that in line with the VM adapter as the ADSL filter has a ringing capacitor (VM hub>VM adapter>ADSL filter>Phone). If that gave you a ringing sound then it would give you more confidence to get the proper adapter above.

Hi bazelli53, 

Thanks for coming back to us on this one with further information. 

I've run some checks on the line today and everything is looking as it should be. I've referred this over to our TOC team (TOC = Telephone Operations Centre). They will run some further checks on the line and come back to you within 48 hours on the contact numbers you have on your account. 

Please keep us posted on how things go. 

Many thanks, 

Kath_F
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs