cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using extension phones after switch to fibre

ConstantReader
Tuning in

A Virgin engineer recently visited us to connect our landline phone to our hub. That was OK. Our main phone is working normally.

But our various extension phones no longer work. I phoned Virgin, but I was told that extension phones cannot be used after the landline is plugged into the hub. I find this hard to believe.Was this advice correct? And, if not, is there anything we can do about it?

Thanks in advance for any help.

CR

29 REPLIES 29

Paulina_Z
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi @normherm1,

Welcome to our Community Forums! Thank you for your first post and I'm sorry to hear that you've had issues with your landline set up location.

We'd be able to have a technician appointment arranged so that you can have your landline moved to a better place and the technician can assist you further.

Is this something you'd be interested in arranging? Please let us know and we'll be happy to assist.

Thanks! 😊 

Paulina_Z
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

Hi Paulina,

That sounds useful, but beset with problems! The landline is best situated in the kitchen, as previously, but that is a considerable distance from the hub. From what I have read on this forum there would be a lot of re-wiring necessary. Also it does not solve the extension problems. Add to that the fact that the ansaphone is inoperable now it's plugged into the hub. Now it is necessary to sprint (if that were possible given my arthritic limbs) from upstairs and hope to reach the phone before it cuts off.

Altogether it is a mess. Could you tell me what possible benefit we have gained from changing from our once perfectly user-friendly system??

If it is possible to book an engineer who has the technical knowledge to sort this out, then please find him!!

NH

Paulina_Z
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi @normherm1,

Thanks for coming back to me about this. I completely understand that this change can be frustrating. However, Virgin Media and other service providers aim to have all customers moved over to the new landline connection system by the end of 2025. The reason for this system change is that the old copper network is not as reliable as it once was and the move to the digital connection will allow landlines to have a more reliable connection when necessary. 

I'll be happy to assist and arrange for a technician appointment to see how we can help in moving your landline to a better spot.

I'll send you a Private Message to confirm a few details, so please keep an eye out for an envelope at the top right corner of your Forum page. I'll be in touch soon.
Thank you.

Paulina_Z
Forum Team

I am in this exact same position lost 2nd extension because phone now plugged into the hub next to my tv in the front room.

yesterday I was told it would need a 2nd line at a cost of £19 extra per month to use these extension points.

the solution I believe is buy a phone that’s suited to VOIP with a cradle to plug in the router and then use the handset like a cordless phone 

goslow
Alessandro Volta

The issue should be a simple one but the problem, often reported on here, is the wide-ranging skills/abilities/knowledge/interest of the individual people VM sends out to do the work. Sometimes reports on here recount that the individual technician who turns up had little interest/knowledge in how to do the job. Other times the customer reports a knowledgeable and helpful person turned up and everything was accomplished without issue. Which kind of technician you get seems to be a bit of a lottery.

Other factors include the time allocated to the tech to do the work often may not be enough for the task and the customer might not accept the rewiring work involved if it is too disruptive.

VM should be able to rewire the existing extension sockets so they work in conjunction with the phone line from the VM hub. This means all equipment stays in the same place. Due to the issues above though, VM often pushes the idea of moving the hub as it might often be a simpler task for the technician (though of no great benefit to the customer). Doing that, however, can change the wireless signal distribution in the home and often customers have equipment wired in to the hub nearby (such as a home office setup) so moving the hub is not an option.

Alternatively, a cordless phone system allows you to use phones around the home with no wiring modifications or disruption. Plug the cordless base station into the VM hub and use the cordless satellite phones around your home as required. If you already have a cordless system, you may be able to add in another cordless satellite phone to the existing setup as/if required. If you needed to buy a cordless phone system, to avoid any rewiring work, this would be at a cost to you.

Paulina_Z
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi @normherm1,

Thank you for coming back to me via private message and confirming your details. I have now booked you a technician visit for your landline location issue – you can check and amend the date and time of your appointment via your online account.

There will be no charge for this visit unless:
•    The technician diagnoses the faults as not being caused by our network/equipment 
•    The technician discovers that the fault or problem relates to your equipment
•    The technician discovers that the fault or problem relates to any system that we are not responsible for
The technician will confirm during their visit if any of these instances apply, and if so, a £25 charge will be applied to your account. 
Please ensure there is someone over the age of 18 present at the time of the visit. If you need to change or cancel your appointment you can do this online or via the MyVM app by 4pm the day before the appointment.
If you do miss an agreed appointment for any reason, a £25 missed appointment charge will be applied to your account on the day of the appointment.
Please keep us updated on how your appointment goes and if you need any further assistance.

Thank you.

Paulina_Z
Forum Team

Paulina_Z
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi @normherm1,

Thanks for coming back to me via Private Message I'm glad to hear that I've been able to reschedule the appointment for a better time for yourself.

Please keep us updated and let us know how your appointment goes.

Thanks! 

Paulina_Z
Forum Team

Will do....thank you!

NH

Hi,

Your technician called this morning and sorted everything with very little trouble. He was amazed and upset to find that the previous technician and CS were unable to suggest an answer . All it took was a hole drilled through the wall and the phone line connected directly to the VM box on our outside wall. We now have the ancient landline phone back in the kitchen with extensions in sitting room and bedrooms all live! Simples!

Advise folks to ask for Ahmad if possible...absolutely brilliant. Why we couldn't have been made aware of this previously is mind-blowingly poor.

Thank you for your help, Pauline, top drawer!

NH

Hi NH,

Thank you for reaching out, glad our technician was able to sort things out, what is needed isn't something we can advise until the technician arrives, apologies this wasn't as straight forward as it should have been.

Regards

Paul.