cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

High Ping and latency issues Hub5

TanjuHergeleci
On our wavelength

Hello,

I am currently on the 1GB Wi-Fi service from Virgin Media and have been experiencing some issues. During gaming, I receive random lag spikes sometimes reaching over 1000ms. The lag spikes last around 2-3 seconds but make it hard to play games. 

To quickly summarise:

- This lag is not limited to one device and happens across different devices. 

- I receive good speeds (around 700 down and 80 up) and I am not far from the hub 5.

- This happens across multiple games too not just a single game.

- An engineer has come out and replaced the entire wiring as well as installed a brand new hub 5 but the issue still remains.

- There is no immediate electrical device near the hub or anything blocking how it works. My Hub 3 was in the exact same position and I never experienced random lag spikes on the lower speed which is weird.

- Virgin Media are telling me they can't find any issues with the hub. There is no set time I receive the lag spikes and it happens throughout the day.

I set up the think broadband service to track my wifi and this is the latest graph: (I am not sure if its normal or not)

531a70c3e6a8a7f937bd17973a9876003aa2f2a2-05-11-2023.png

Can anyone help me out? I have tried using wifi 6 as well as wifi 5 and made no difference. I cannot use wired as my computer is upstairs and on 1GB wifi I shouldn't need to.

Thank you,

Tanju

9 REPLIES 9

TanjuHergeleci
On our wavelength

05/11/23 (Day of writing this comment)05/11/23 (Day of writing this comment)04/11/23 (Day before this comment)04/11/23 (Day before this comment)

legacy1
Alessandro Volta

Get a better wifi router with 1Gb ports and use hub in modem mode

---------------------------------------------------------------

Surely it isn't down to me to solve this issue by paying more to buy a wifi router? It's their best and fastest speed surely it should be able to support low latency gaming. 

"Our ultrafast speeds offer great broadband for gaming, so you can enjoy a smooth, responsive experience." - VM

Hi TanjuHereleci

Thanks for your post. I'm really sorry to hear you've been facing issues with your connection and latency when gaming online.

Looking at your broadband quality monitor graph your broadband performance is excellent. There are a few latency spikes however this can be normal. 

I've also ran a test through Samknows on your connection and it's reporting that you're receiving over your advertised speeds to your Hub and there's no packet loss at all. 

Can you please let us know how your devices are connected to your Hub? We'd advise to connect via ethenet cable whenever possible. 

I'd also advise to ensure you're connecting to local servers when online gaming, so national or ones in Europe if possible. 

Everything is looking spot on from our side. If you're only experiencing issues every now and again when gaming online, it's possible that is a server issue or connectivity issue to the server.

Beth

jpeg1
Alessandro Volta

Those BQMs are looking very good, apart from one brief episode of packet loss. And the average latency to the Hub is as good as you will get on Virginmedia - better than many.

For really good games playing you do need a ethernet connection. 

- jpeg1
My name is NOT Alessandro. That's just a tag Virginmedia sticks on some contributors. Please ignore it.

Warebear
Joining in

Has this issue been fixed for you mate? Gaming for me is unbearable, same Gig1 package, packet loss and latency is through the roof. Being told there is an issue in my local area which but this has been happening for a month.

Client62
Legend

Half duplex Wi-Fi is capable of being very sporadic under load. I suspect that is not news to anyone.

It might be time to try some powerline extenders  focusing on a connection with lower latency and better stability could have a more positive effect for a gamester than higher bandwidth.   

Perhaps ... https://www.screwfix.com/p/tp-link-av1000-powerline-starter-kit/326kx

If  it does not work out as might be hoped you can return, but then you are faced with the need for network cables.

jasondmorgan425
On our wavelength

Yes I've had this problem since vm took over tellewest now on 1gb hub5 and worse that ever , now truespeed are putting there network in Thornbury I'm just not gaming until I rip vm out and truespeed come in lag and ping spikes are ridiculous on vm ,not the gaming network they advertised 

Hi @jasondmorgan425, thank you for your post.

We're sorry to hear about the problem you've been having 😔

In order to discuss this with you, we'll send you a private message on here. Look out for the envelope in the top right-hand corner.

If you're on a portable device with a smaller screen, click on the icon in the top right-hand corner and select "messages" from the additional menu options.

Regards,
Daniel