cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ntlworld webmail 403 error

JohnTeee
Joining in

Since mid December and the being prompted for the addition of the email 'App password' (for email clients, not web), things have been very sketchy/undpredictable with ntlworld webmail authentication.

I'm now getting 403 error on webmail (simple route: login through myvrigin media, select mailbox).
I get this in incognito mode, so it's not a cookie nor cache problem.

I've reviewed the other threads, and seen nothing particularly credible.

There was a suggestion to generate an email client app password & then reset account password to this - I consider that dangerous from a security perspective, so won't even try that (that would be a pretty significant bug from the VM auth team if that were the case).

I'm guessing a call to the help desk is all I've got left, but if anyone does have any experience of resolving this I'd be happy to hear.

Cheers - John T

4 REPLIES 4

Paul_DN
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi JohnTeee,

Thank you for reaching out to us in our community and welcome, sorry to hear you are facing an error Via a Email client when logging in, as advised on other posts, the advised fix is as you mentioned but are not happy trying this.

Regards

Paul.

coenoby
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@JohnTeee 

If you are getting the "403 Forbidden" error here is the standard advice from VM https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Email/403-Forbidden-on-webmail-Again  apologies of you have seen that already.

The password reset does usually seem to work but people often report that it takes multiple resets before it does.

If you contact support of the 150 line be aware that first line support  may well say they have raised a ticket with the relevant technical team and you may well get a promise that they will call you back after a week. Ask for an keep a note of that ticket number because most people seem to report that promised return call rarely comes.

Coenoby

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media.

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

JohnTeee
Joining in

I've reset my password more times than I care to remember, it's completely hit and miss as to whether that works as far as I can see, and even after it does I will then find myself in the same situation again later, so webmail in general is pretty unusable.

There's a fundamental problem here that virginmedia need to fix, not sure if there's any recognition of that on their part.

HI JohnTeee

Thank you for your post, I'm really sorry to hear you've been having issues with your email.

On most occasions, a password reset would resolve the error 403 issue. What I'll do is drop you a message so I can take your details and look into this with you. We can raise this with our IT Team if necessary.

Thank you,

Beth