cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cannot logon to VM webmail or via Outlook using POP3

HenryQ
Superfast

I have had the same VM Email address since 2009. I use Outlook 365 on W10 with a POP3 connection. This morning, Outlook kept asking me to enter my Email address and password (neither of which has changed for many a year). My Email address is x.y@ntlworld.com and the password is very secure - 19 characters in length.

So I then tried to login directly to the VM webmail server. Same problem - login credentials rejected. But VM definitely knows it is me as I could see my account details, latest bill etc.

The message I am seeing is "Your Virgin Media Mail account is currently unavailable" - See https://www.virginmedia.com/help/virgin-media-mail-unavailable

I followed the given instructions, which included a request for me to provide a non-VM Email address in order to provide me with a one-time verification code. I duly provide a rarely used Gmail address - x.y@gmail.com.

I still cannot login and have been trying to do so for hours. But, BUT!, WM have changed my account details to give my Email address as x.y@gmail.com

But I hardly ever use it and, even so, I still cannot log on. I phoned 150 earlier and a helpful support lady did her best. She even gave me a reset password that would last for 24 hours. But I still cannot login.

Professionally, I started in IT in the 1960s but as hard as I try, I cannot figure this out. 

Help!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

用心棒
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Good to read issue is resolved.

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

7 REPLIES 7

HenryQ
Superfast

An update:

Webmail came back last evening, with no explanation. However I still cannot receive Emails into my Outlook 365 (POP3) Inbox. I had unsatisfactory calls with three separate VM support people this morning. I am convinced that something must have changed at their end. My next step will be to set up a new POP3 account from scratch. Or I may give IMAP a go.

This morning, I tried to change my account email address back to x.y@ntlworld.com, but it wouldn't let me.

用心棒
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@HenryQ wrote:

An update:

Webmail came back last evening, with no explanation. However I still cannot receive Emails into my Outlook 365 (POP3) Inbox. I had unsatisfactory calls with three separate VM support people this morning. I am convinced that something must have changed at their end. My next step will be to set up a new POP3 account from scratch. Or I may give IMAP a go.

Are you able to send an email from Outlook? If no then consider generating an App Password; see What do I do if I think my Virgin Media password has been compromised? section here How to create a strong password | Virgin Media Help

This morning, I tried to change my account email address back to x.y@ntlworld.com, but it wouldn't let me.

Once changed the Sign in Email Address cannot be reverted to original or to another Virgin Media domain email address. You should use:

• the Gmail address when signing into My Virgin Media or Virgin Media Mail (webmail) in combination with the Virgin Media account password
  • use the original Virgin Media address with email client, like Outlook or similar, in combination with the Virgin Media account password or App Password if it has been generated

-- 
I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more
Have I helped? Select Mark as Helpful Answer or 🖒 Kudos to say thanks

HenryQ
Superfast

Many thanks for the tips. I will work through them tomorrow. But how strange that I have been using POP3 with Outlook since 2009 and it suddenly fails!

The issue with the three (well meaning) VM support people I spoke with today at VM was: 1) the first lady had an English accent but spoke so fast, there wasn't a break between her words. I apologised but pleaded with her to slow down. 2) the second chap was equally pleasant but he had a deep Indian accent, so I couldn't figure out everything he was saying, 3) the third and final support person had a high-pitched Indian-sounding accent. I really couldn't figure out what she was saying on the phone, and with my apology to her, I terminated the call.

They all sounded well meaning and my hearing isn't that bad, but so frustrating being unable to figure out what they were saying.

This isn't a criticism of them personally as they were doing their best.   

HenryQ
Superfast

After trying various things (I even installed Thunderbird), I bit the bullet and generated an App Password. SUCCESS! Emails immediately started dropping into my Office 365 Inbox once more.

I followed the instructions here:

https://www.virginmedia.com/help/broadband/manage-email-account#48322eb1-7679-4e11-b7ea-f643dcd3784b.

Many thanks for your help.

用心棒
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Good to read issue is resolved.

HenryQ
Superfast

Follow-up question, and then I'll be silent. Which side of the POP3 fence is my new App Password stored? Is it in my local Outlook 365 or at VM?

Just asking in case I need to change it.

Graham_A
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@HenryQ Both if you have selected the option in Outlook 365 to save the password.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media, I'm a VM customer. There are no guarantees that my advice will work. Please read the FAQs
Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks