cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SPAM SPAM & more Spam

Jillyflower
On our wavelength

Virgin media webmail. Inbox keeps getting SPAM , most lurid types! 

SPAM box also gets loads of Spam, I add the senders to blocklist, but there is so much arriving that every week or so I have to empty the blocked email addresses and start again. 

I do report them all, but does anyone know how I stop them getting here.  30 in 24 hours have landed. 

TIA   Jill 

14 REPLIES 14

用心棒
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Sign into webmail and confirm ⚙ > E-Mail - SPAM Settings > Move message to Spam folder is set. If it is then consider the following options:

• migrating to a new email service with better spam filters ― long term this would be the preferred option as it has many advantages: no longer fearing loss of email addresses when switching ISP; better security in form of multifactor authentication, etc.
  • should that not be possible then create a filter rule similar to the following in webmail:
    2023-01-07.jpeg
    Any email from miscreant @example.com or example,org will be flagged and moved to Spam folder. The advantage of using a filter rule over Blocklist is flexibility. For example, a common spamming strategy is to randomised the part before the @, i.e. miscreant-0@example.orgmiscreant-1@example.org; the above rule will catch the variation.

To extend the list append new entries, for instance append |example.net to include it; it is important to separate listed entries with character — resulting in  miscreant @example.com|iexample.org|example.net

-- 
I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more
Have I helped? Click helpful.jpeg Mark as Helpful Answer and solved, or use thanks.jpeg Kudos to say thanks

Matthew_ML
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hey Jillyflower, thank you for reaching out and I am sorry you are having some issues with getting spam emails address.

Please can I just check the above advice has helped or not? Thanks 

Matt - Forum Team

New around here?

Hi
Thank you for replying, Truthfully, I havent had time yet to go through each step. But on a quick read if I have to insert each email address individually I will be a very busy person indeed!

Since I made the post , There are now 80 emails in SPAM. I had to move some from the inbox. Some went straight to Spam.
I would like it if the Virgin SPAM filter caught them as they are 99% dating and sexual inuendo, including a few with pictures.
regards Jill

AMNDT: I have had a quick play with doing as advised , I assume you meant the filter rule, not use a different ISP!!!

I can see now how it would work, but moving 80 email addressess isnt great . Also they will just get more and more email addresses i think.

cheers Jill

Hi Thank you for reply. 

I have had a go with the rules idea, I can see how it would work but I am up to 80 SPAM now, so massess to move across, I sorted by "from" and they all appear to be different. . 

I would like a VM person to look at why/how they are getting through. 

I have replied to one of the team to see what they can do. 

regards Jill 

Graham_A
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@Jillyflower If filters are too problematic then the other advice given earlier in the thread wasn't to change ISP, rather it was to use a different email address provided by an email service provider independent of any ISP.  Free examples are Gmail or MS Outlook amongst others.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media, I'm a VM customer. There are no guarantees that my advice will work. Please read the FAQs
Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

thanks for reply.  It isnt really practicable to chnage email addresses at the moment either . 

I am hoping it doesnt come to that really, but I will bear it in mind. 

regards Jill 

Felim_Doyle
Fibre optic

Thankfully my SPAM levels are currently manageable although there has been an increase in business type e-mails targeted at one of my NTLWorld addresses so it must have gotten on a new list somehow.

My issue is genuine e-mails being sent to SPAM. How do I create a white list of approved e-mail addresses? Ideally it should be possible to highlight an e-mail address, for example by right-clicking it, and selecting 'Do not send to SPAM' or similar.

Félim
Aylesbury, Buckinghamshire, UK

用心棒
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@Felim_Doyle wrote:

My issue is genuine e-mails being sent to SPAM. How do I create a white list of approved e-mail addresses? Ideally it should be possible to highlight an e-mail address, for example by right-clicking it, and selecting 'Do not send to SPAM' or similar.

Supposedly adding them to your webmail Address Book is sufficient, see following:

If emails from a particular sender are being identified incorrectly as spam, simply save the sender as a contact. When you’ve done this, any messages from their email address will be sent to your inbox.

[source How to stop spam e-mails | Virgin Media Help]

Should this fail then post back here to have issue flagged to the forum team.