cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Outlook SMTP SSL Error

techweb
On our wavelength

I am using a very old e-mail client Outlook 2010 but until today have had no issues sending / receiving mail. However today I get this:

"0x800CCC1A " your server does not support the encryption type you have specified"

I wonder if some new requirements have been put in place for SSL encryption for SMTP.

28 REPLIES 28

techweb
On our wavelength

So... I resolved this by switching settings from SSL port 465 to using TLS port 587. Now I can send e-mails.

MikeBernard
Joining in

Hi techweb

I'm getting exactly the same issue since Saturday with Outlook 2007. What was the reason you switched to using TLS port 587?

Thanks,  Mike

Hi Mike,

I had the same issue but with Outlook 16.  Have tried Techweb's solution and it fixed the problem

In addition to changing the Port number you may/will need to change the outgoing emails encryption type to TLS

Access thru Account Settings on the Outlook File tag. Had the problem on Outlook 16 where the change was much simpler than on my Outlook 10 which required several menu dropdown/items to be gone thru/opened. 

Regards

I just tried this as SSL wasn't working and it worked. Today I reverted the settings back to SSL and it works.

Glad my solution helped you... I have just reverted back to SSL and port 465 and it works.

Thanks guys, mine is now working again as well, without having made any changes. Good old VM!

Travis_M
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi @MikeBernard 

Thanks for posting on our community forum

Absolutely great to hear this is now working again, I hope you have a great day and be sure to contact us if you ever require any further assistance

Regards

Travis_M
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

I, on the other hand, with an NTL email address and using smtp.ntlworld.com as the server still (after about 3 weeks) cannot SEND email from my email client (that has worked fine for years) using either port 25 or port 465!

Hey ForuMan, thank you for reaching out and I am so sorry to hear this.

We are aware of an issue where some people are struggling to send/compose/delete emails, the team are working on a fix for this and we are sorry for any trouble this may caused. Cheers 

Matt - Forum Team

New around here?

coenoby
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@ForuMan wrote:

cannot SEND email from my email client.......... using either port 25 or port 465!

As Matthew_ML says  it may be due to the underlying problems with the VM email service. However, if the only problem you have is that you cannot send emails from your email client that could be down to a problem specific to your email account.

If it was my account I would try the following:

1) Generate a new mail app password to use instead of the existing password in your email client.

A few weeks ago Virgin Media made another change to their email service which means that when you reset a VM email password you now have to generate an app specific password to use instead or your webmail password when accessing that email address via any third party email apps or clients on all your devices.

You can generate a new mail app password sign in from this link https://my.virginmedia.com/home/signIn   using the VM/Ntlworld email address and existing password of the account you wish to reset. That will take you to the relevant "My Virgin Media" account for that email address.

Go to the "Account settings" tab and then  the "Account details" tab. Scroll down that page to "Mailbox app password management." and click on "Manage".
You can then generate an app password which will be in the format: video-post-mossy-sharp
You will then need to enter that new app password (including the "-") into the password field in the email app.

Update the password in your email app and see if that resolves the problem.

If the problem persists, them try:

2) Identify the exact error message that the VM/Ntlworld server is reporting and see why the app cannot send emails. To do that:

i) Copy the following line of command text and then paste it into a MS Word document (or which ever text editor you prefer) so that you can edit it.
curl -v smtps://smtp.virginmedia.com -u username:password  (You can use smtp.ntlworld.com if you like but the result will be the same)

ii) Once you have pasted it into Word, replace "username" with your full Virgin Media / Ntlworld email address, and "password" with your current email account password. So that part should now say some-thing like "youremailaddy@ntlworld.com:dhtyG15793Wj" It is important to keep the colon : and the spaces before that piece of text exactly as per the original line of red text in step i).

iii) Type cmd into the Windows 10 or 11 search bar, press Enter and then open the Command Prompt app.

iiii) Copy the full line of text that you just amended in step ii) from the Word document and paste it where the cursor is blinking in the Command Prompt. Then press Enter.

That will generate many lines of output but all you need to look for towards the end of the output is either:
235 2.7.0 SMTP350 Authentication successful - which means that your laptop can successfully access and authenticate with the VM server even if your app cannot.
Or an error message such
535 5.7.8 Authentication Credentials Invalid (VM300)
Post back here to say either that authentication was successful or, if not, just post the error message line as per the example above.

Your other option of course is just wait to see if VM resolves the problem.

Coenoby

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media.

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks