cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Outlook SMTP SSL Error

techweb
On our wavelength

I am using a very old e-mail client Outlook 2010 but until today have had no issues sending / receiving mail. However today I get this:

"0x800CCC1A " your server does not support the encryption type you have specified"

I wonder if some new requirements have been put in place for SSL encryption for SMTP.

28 REPLIES 28

Thanks for your considered reply. I have the problem solved now, though I won't tell you what the embarassingly stupid mistake I made was!

coenoby
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@ForuMan wrote:

Thanks for your considered reply. I have the problem solved now,

I'm pleased to hear that you have got it sorted.

"though I won't tell you what the embarassingly stupid mistake I made was!"

I know how you feel, been there myself many many times. 😉

Coenoby

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media.

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

techweb
On our wavelength

Sadly this same issue has arisen again this morning... Hopefully it clears in time. However, the previous workaround of switching from SSL 465 to TLS 587 doesn't work. All was working fine yesterday.

Similar issue (with a different mail client) started yesterday

16/04/24, 10:06:15: SEND - sending mail message(s) - 1 message(s) in queue
16/04/24, 10:06:15: SEND - Connecting to SMTP server smtp.virginmedia.com on port 465
16/04/24, 10:06:15: SEND - Initiating TLS handshake
!16/04/24, 10:06:15: SEND - Server reports TLS error: Handshake failure.

Doesn't get far enough for the protocol log to record anything.:

Haven't changed anything, been working for years. Will investigate more later and perhaps start a new thread as I suspect this is a change in server configuration rather than an individual client issue.

techweb
On our wavelength

Thanks. Glad to know I'm not the only one.

coenoby
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@techweb @al67 

It's really strange.

I don't really use VM email but I have just tested sending to and from an Ntlworld and a Virginmedia,com address using 3 different email clients:

• Thunderbird
  • Bluemail
  • Gmail

At 2.45 - 3.00pm this afternoon everything seemed to be working fine for me with the recommended VM settings.

Is it the 0x800CCC1A error that you are both seeing?

Coenoby

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media.

techweb
On our wavelength

Yes, this is the error we are getting. To be honest i've hit it before and it got fixed / resolved after some time.

Graham_A
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@coenoby wrote:

@techweb @al67 

It's really strange.

I don't really use VM email but I have just tested sending to and from an Ntlworld and a Virginmedia,com address using 3 different email clients:

• Thunderbird
  • Bluemail
  • Gmail

At 2.45 - 3.00pm this afternoon everything seemed to be working fine for me with the recommended VM settings.

Is it the 0x800CCC1A error that you are both seeing?

Coenoby

@coenoby  I agree that it is a strange one.  I haven't been able to access any of my VM or blueyonder email accounts via MS Outlook since yesterday.  Yet all of them work via BlueMail, Thuderbird and on on my android mobile.

I have a suspicion that it might be to do with the older versions of Outlook not handling the latest SSL protocols.  I wonder if VM/Ziggo have flicked a switch to turn off the ability for clients using older versions of SSL to connect, either by accident or by design.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media, I'm a VM customer. There are no guarantees that my advice will work. Please read the FAQs

coenoby
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@Graham_A wrote:

I have a suspicion that it might be to do with the older versions of Outlook not handling the latest SSL protocols.

Yes Graham, that is very possible.

To test that I have just fired up my Office sorry of course it's now "Microsoft" 365 Outlook for the first time in months. That's working fine with my VM email accounts so it could well be just older versions of Outlook that are affected.

Coenoby