cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Kei_M
Community Manager
Community Manager

Virgin Media O2 has become the first major UK provider to publicly launch a residential 2Gbps broadband service and introduce symmetrical download and upload speeds across all of its speed tiers as an optional add-on for customers.

Gig2 is Virgin Media’s latest speed upgrade, offering enhanced broadband speeds twice as fast as its predecessor, Gig1.

The service, available across the nexfibre network which is approaching availability to 1 million homes in suburban and semi-rural areas across the UK, including Belfast, Cardiff, London and Glasgow, will help power the technology and devices of today and of the future – from AI applications to the metaverse and cloud gaming.

Initially trialled last year, Gig2 is powered by the latest XGS-PON technology and will operate on a full fibre network courtesy of Virgin Media O2’s wholesale partnership with nexfibre – a fibre network joint venture.

Customers in full fibre areas will also be able to boost their connectivity with a major upload speed add-on, providing them with symmetrical speeds so they can upload as fast as they can download.

This upgrade is available across all of Virgin Media’s speed tiers – from 50Mbps to 2Gbps – and marks Virgin Media becoming the first major UK broadband provider to offer this optional service.

Those that sign up or upgrade to Gig2 will receive Virgin Media’s Hub 5x router – its first to support XGS-PON technology. The Hub 5x is Virgin Media’s most energy efficient router to date, made from 100% recycled plastic, and will help to boost in-home WiFi performance by supporting WiFi 6 devices.

Gig2 is available for £84 per month with the option to add symmetrical speeds for an extra £6 per month across all speed tiers.

Both Gig1 and Gig2 customers can also enjoy Virgin Media’s market-leading WiFi guarantee, WiFi Max, at no extra cost, offering a minimum download speed of 30Mbps in in every room or £100 one-off credit back. For other speed tiers, Virgin Media’s WiFi guarantee can be added for £8 extra per month.

Those looking to enhance their connectivity line up even further can Volt their package for an additional £6 per month, adding an unlimited O2 SIM.

With Volt, customers can benefit from a host of added perks at no extra cost including a broadband speed boost on selected broadband tiers and inclusive roaming in 75 international destinations.

Those looking for some extra entertainment can add TV to their package with by Stream from Virgin Media. The pocket-sized box lets users seamlessly watch the telly they love at home and on the move for the ultimate entertainment experience.

Jeanie York, Chief Technology Officer at Virgin Media O2, said

"Virgin Media O2 has always been at the forefront of innovation to provide hyperfast and next-generation connectivity to homes in the UK, and Gig2 is our latest speed venture which will unlock endless opportunities for future technologies and the ever-changing digital needs of our customers.

Gig2 will operate across nexfibre’s XGS-PON, full fibre network which will support symmetrical download and upload speeds – a first for a major UK broadband provider as an optional add-on – and will enable users to send and receive data, files and much more at the blink of an eye. With our heritage in providing cutting-edge technology and hyperfast broadband speeds, which saw us complete the UK’s first national gigabit rollout programme, we are looking forward to taking Gig2 to more areas in the near future.”

The true power of Gig2 and XGS-PON technology

Virgin Media’s Gig2 service offers download speeds of 2Gbps and operates on a full fibre network, powered by XGS-PON technology, enabling customers to download video games, films, music and large files in seconds.

File type and size Gig2 (2Gbps) UK average (69.4Mbps)
Call of Duty Modern Warfare III (240GB – PS5) 16 minutes 7 hours 41 minutes
Oppenheimer (66GB – 4K/UHD) 4 minutes 25 seconds 2 hours 7 minutes
Traitors Season 2 (7.6GB – HD) 30 seconds 14 minute 36 seconds

Source: Virgin Media Download Calculator Tool

With technology and innovation continuing to evolve at such a rapid rate, from the metaverse to AI and immersive and cloud gaming, Gig2 connectivity will underpin new technologies and applications.

XGS-PON also uses a passive optical network so energy consumption is lower and, coupled with Virgin Media’s new Hub 5x router, will help the operator meet its ambitious net zero goals that support better outcomes for customers, communities and the planet.

The Hub 5x also comes with a 10Gbps port which will be able to support even faster speeds in the future.

Rajiv Datta, Chief Executive Officer of nexfibre, said:

“nexfibre’s full fibre network, powered by XGS-PON technology, provides a platform for progress, as demonstrated by Virgin Media O2’s exciting new Gig2 service with symmetrical speed options. As our roll-out continues at pace, we’re looking forward to empowering more consumers and businesses with the benefits of our significant investment in the UK’s digital infrastructure.”
62 Comments
TeddyTRK
Superfast

Anyone got an idea when GIG2 will come to DOCSIS 3.1 areas? 

The Hub 5 has a 2.5 Gbps port, so VM intend on getting at least 2 gig to DOCSIS areas, since they're offering it to XGS areas, when do you think it'll be available for the rest (majority) of us?

jhuk
Trouble shooter

640K should be enough for anybody  🙄

carl_pearce
Community elder

Dave6018

A pointless comment when you have no idea on every use case.

Pointless for you, not pointless for everyone.

Sdp2009
Tuning in

This makes me laugh! Who in the right mind is going to pay £84 for 2gig broadband and then another £6 to make it symmetrical. I can move over to Yayzi 2.3gig and pay only £50 month to month and tied into no long 18 contracts. Also there speed is symmetrical 😂😂

all I can say is once I can get Yayzi hopefully next month it will be BYE BYE crappy virgin and HELLO Yayzi 👊

carl_pearce
Community elder

Sdp2009 if you have that luxury in your area.

I have VM or, more recently, Openreach.

Sdp2009
Tuning in

carl_pearce

and that’s why they charge this as know some people are very limited with who they can get and availability.

jhuk
Trouble shooter

I looked on their website (not in my area anyway), seems it is £50pm with 18month contracts on all the tiers.

Yayzi Broadband – The home of stupidly fast broadband

Sdp2009
Tuning in

They definitely do 1 month contracts see pics. Posted them incase anyone wasn’t aware of this

IMG_3211.png

IMG_3212.png

TeddyTRK
Superfast

Anyone got an idea when GIG2 will come to DOCSIS 3.1 areas?

Orchard00
Tuning in

It still takes about 6 months for them to activate the service once they go "live". They have the poorest customer support I have ever experienced.

sayekm
Fibre optic

Very nice..lets hope they give some free upgrades to us average home users on M125 😀

Does the average home user need symmetrical download and upload speeds??

Most of Openreach service is similar to current VM speed. I also have Community Fibre available on my street but so far VM prices have not dissapointed to switch to Community Fibre. Also a family member recently switched recently from VM to Community Fibre and said the network does go down for days..

MrJG08
On our wavelength

On the phone for 1h 30m passed from sales to tech support, all of them trying to send me some wifi pod to boost my speed, all of them telling me that the upload speed will always be slower than the download speed.....

Honestly, the absolute worst customer service you can ever get from a company.

No-one seems to know anything about the symmetrical upgrade you can get, sort your selves out for christ sake and update your employees with stuff you are announcing before you announce it otherwise you just get extremely frustrated customers that will move on as soon as their contracts are up.

pob42
On our wavelength

I've been quoted £11 extra per month for the upload speed boost, rather than the £6 mentioned in the press releases.  No idea what's going on!

nrushforth
Tuning in

Just tried to have my Volt benefit applied to my current 1Gb service to 2Gb. Total joke!!! Not able to do it without paying additional £34 per month.

I said that speed increases were free, but they were not having any of it. I said if I was on 500mb and wanted my Volt benefit to 1Gb would that be free and told it was. However they said the difference from 1Gb to 2GB is bigger, therefore I have to pay more.

I explained the difference is a 100% increase in speed for both scenarios, but they were adamant they would not apply the Volt benefit to 2GB. Absolute joke. 

carl_pearce
Community elder
nrushforth
Tuning in

Is that article correct now or does it need updated to their new max speed. I have assumed it is the latter and needs updated to reflect the highest speed available, as it did when 1Gb was the max speed. 

MrJG08
On our wavelength

@pob42, was it sales or customer service that even knew about the symmetrical add-on, anyone that I've spoken to hasn't got a scooby about it.

pob42
On our wavelength

I just went on live chat via the upgrade option in my account. The first agent knew what symmetrical was but wanted £17 extra per month. Then he dropped it to £11.  When I said it should be £6 he passed me to ‘customer relations’ he were no help at all. They said there was no option for it on their system. 

jhuk
Trouble shooter

It may well not be on their system but then where are they pulling prices of £17 and £11 from and for what service if it does not exist in front of them or it would be £6, from their ass that is where (so rhetorical).

Martyn
Up to speed

Shame no one can actually benefit from these addons lol.