cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Virgin sim scam

greekgod
Joining in

Over the last couple of months mycare O2 have been demanding money for a mobile account I do not recognise.  I owe, apparently, £56.  I called them and after a lot of investigation by a  very patient guy at the other end, turned out that it was for a couple of months of billing for a sim card I had received with my Virgin broadband package 6 years ago.  Wow, so I thought how come this has been activated only in the last couple of months?  Wrong, Since 2017 Virgin have been charging me for a sim I did not ask for and I did not use that came with my broadband.  I did not ask for the sim.  I did not use the sim.  It is still in my files.  So over 6 years I have been charged £1800 for something I did not use.  I am a pensioner by the way.  I called Virgin and they were very apologetic but said they could do nothing and I should have read the small print.  I wonder how many others have been scammed by Virgin in this way.? I've been with Virgin boroadband/terrestrial phone line for nearly 20 years, but they will lose my account and the rest of my extended families - several families by the way, if they do not do something about  this scandalous rip-off.

23 REPLIES 23

That's my point Steven. 

I believe I was conned into this as I said at the time I did not need a new mobile phone account. 

I think this is mis selling by virgin.

Are you willing to investigate this further. 

Hi @Johnmor46 thanks for your reply here.

I can look into this for you so please expect a PM from me to arrive shortly so I can investigate.

Kindly expect this to arrive shortly and respond directly when you can!
Many thanks

Tom_W

Hi Johnmor46, I feel your pain, You like me and probably many more have been conned by this. I've been trying to understand and sort this since last December. Made many phone calls, sent many emails, written many letters, been on this and the O2 community boards and even used the O2 app.... not a single reply. Other than O2 letters which threaten me with and now say my details have been passed to a Debt Recovery company. Don't waste any more time with these people, they have no interest in investigating anything. I now have a case accepted by the Communications Ombudsman against O2.

enlli
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Free Oomph SIM cards became chargable when they were moved to O2. 

However, so that customers did not lose out their broadband bill was reduced by a similar amount, so the total paid to O2 and Virgin combined equaled the old payment to Virgin alone.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks