cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Virgin sim scam

greekgod
Joining in

Over the last couple of months mycare O2 have been demanding money for a mobile account I do not recognise.  I owe, apparently, £56.  I called them and after a lot of investigation by a  very patient guy at the other end, turned out that it was for a couple of months of billing for a sim card I had received with my Virgin broadband package 6 years ago.  Wow, so I thought how come this has been activated only in the last couple of months?  Wrong, Since 2017 Virgin have been charging me for a sim I did not ask for and I did not use that came with my broadband.  I did not ask for the sim.  I did not use the sim.  It is still in my files.  So over 6 years I have been charged £1800 for something I did not use.  I am a pensioner by the way.  I called Virgin and they were very apologetic but said they could do nothing and I should have read the small print.  I wonder how many others have been scammed by Virgin in this way.? I've been with Virgin boroadband/terrestrial phone line for nearly 20 years, but they will lose my account and the rest of my extended families - several families by the way, if they do not do something about  this scandalous rip-off.

23 REPLIES 23

JohnBull1
Joining in

I too am a victim of this scam. I have been trying to resolve this issue with O2 for months. It's a relatively small amount of money, they say they are investigating but have now sent me a letter threatening to sell my case to a Dept Recovery company... Without even resolving my case.

Another large unaccountable company scamming their customers. I look forward to them being exposed like the Post Office have been

Hi there @JohnBull1 

Thank you so much for your post and welcome to the community forums, it's great to have you back.

We are so sorry that you have faced this issue and thank you again for bringing this to our attention. Can I just confirm, was this SIM part of a bundle deal you have with us?

If it was added to my package it was done so without my knowledge or agreement! I already have a SIM, why would I want another? It's O2 who are threatening me. I only realised when I changed banks and saw multiple direct debits for O2. Nobody at O2 could even tell me why. I have been told by 'a whistle blower' at O2 that this happens all the time. It's an underhand sales tactic by Virgin. Don't they have enough money?? If you can resolve this, please do. Threatening cheated customers with Debt Collection Agencies!? Outrageous! Let's tell the world how Virgin operate!

My apologies again that this has happened @JohnBull1 to clarify, when you signed up with Virgin did you sign up for a bundle that included a SIM? 

Such as a Ultimate Oomph bundle?

I've been Virgin from their start, I was with NTL before they took over and Nynex before them... Probably getting on for 40 years. I'm too old to understand all your bundles of this and that. Look me up, you tell me. All I know is this is not how you deal with customers 

Thank you @JohnBull1 

I'm going to pop you a PM so we can take a closer look and advise further. I will pop you a PM across now, please keep an eye out for the envelope at the top of your screen alerting you to a new message.

I too am a victim of this scam.

I have had threats from o2 regarding unpaid bills for a sim card which has never been used.

It was sent even though I said at time of renewing my virgin broadband package I didn't need it.

Ut seems o2 have been taking money from my account and are now threatening me with debt collectors.

I have tried unsuccessfully to contact someone from o2 and have even lidged a formal complaint but still no response.

My credit file has also been impacted by this scam

Hello Johnmor46,

Welcome to the community and thanks for taking the time to post here on the forums. I’m sorry to hear of the issues that you’re having with your sim card. 

When did you last speak to the team at O2? Did you already have an O2 sim at the time of renewing your package and wanted to cancel it or was this a new sim as part of the deal?

Kind Regards,

Steven_L

I have had a problem getting someone to understand my issue at o2.

I didn't need a new sim card.

I've been on same mobile number since 1997 with orange/EE.

I was only renewing my virgin media package but they sent me a o2 sim card which is still in original packaging and unused.

I believe that I was missold this and only realized further down the line I was in a contract with o2.

Perhaps you can call me to discuss as my credit file has been marked with missed payments. 

Can you supply a tape of original conversation with virgin

Thanks for coming back to us Johnmor46. If you were signed up to a Volt package, you would have been given an O2 sim card as part of the contract that you agreed to, when you signed up. Does the sim card show as part of your contract on your online account? 

We are unable to call you from here as we are a digital only team, if you wish to speak to our team over the phone, please call in on 150 from a Virgin Media line and 0345 454 1111 from any other line. 

If you wish to have a recording of the call, when your deal was agreed you can get that via a Data Subject Access Request Form here

Kind Regards,

Steven_L